X-Efficiency and Productivity Change in Australian Banking
AbstractThis paper investigates X-efficiency and productivity change in Australian banking between 1995 and 1999 using Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) and Malmquist productivity indexes. It differs from earlier studies by examining efficiency by bank type, and finds that regional banks are less efficient than other bank types. The study concludes that diseconomies of scale set in very early and hence are not a sufficient basis on which to allow mergers between large banks to proceed. Total factor productivity in the banking sector was found to have increased by an average annual 7.6 per cent between 1995 and 1999. All of the productivity increase was due to technological advance shifting out the frontier. The banking sector's performance was less efficient relative to the frontier in 1999 than it had been in 1995. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd/University of Adelaide and Flinders University of South Australia 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Australian Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 43 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0004-900X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Avkiran, Necmi K., 2009. "Removing the impact of environment with units-invariant efficient frontier analysis: An illustrative case study with intertemporal panel data," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 535-544, June.
- Sailesh Tanna & Fotios Pasiouras & Matthias Nnadi, 2011. "The Effect of Board Size and Composition on the Efficiency of UK Banks," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 441-462, November.
- Kevin Davis, 2007. "Banking Concentration, Financial Stability and Public Policy," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Christopher Kent & Jeremy Lawson (ed.), The Structure and Resilience of the Financial System Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Jan-Egbert Sturm & Barry Williams, 2005.
"What Determines Differences in Foreign Bank Efficiency? Australian Evidence,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1587, CESifo Group Munich.
- Sturm, Jan-Egbert & Williams, Barry, 2010. "What determines differences in foreign bank efficiency? Australian evidence," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 284-309, July.
- Kent Matthews & Nina Zhang, 2009.
"Bank Productivity in China 1997-2007: An Exercise in Measurement,"
252009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Matthews, Kent & Zhang, Nina, 2009. "Bank Productivity in China 1997-2007: An Exercise in Measurement," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2009/14, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Don U.A. Galagedera & Piyadasa Edirisuriya, 2004. "Performance of Indian commercial banks (1995-2002): an application of data envelopment analysis and Malmquist productivity index," Finance 0408006, EconWPA.
- Malcolm Abbott & Su Wu & Wei Wang, 2013. "The productivity and performance of Australia’s major banks since deregulation," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 122-135, January.
- Fadzlan Sufian, 2012. "For which option is credit risk more representative on China banks' total factor productivity: Efficiency change or technological progress?," China Finance Review International, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(2), pages 180-202, April.
- Ken Johnston & John Hatem & Thomas A. Carnes, 2010. "Investor education: how plan sponsors should report your returns," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(4), pages 354-363, April.
- Matthews, Kent & Zhang, Nina (Xu), 2010. "Bank productivity in China 1997-2007: Measurement and convergence," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 617-628, December.
- Sturm, Jan-Egbert & Williams, Barry, 2008. "Characteristics determining the efficiency of foreign banks in Australia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 2346-2360, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.