Global Economic Crisis: Impact and Restructuring of the Services Sector in India
AbstractThe Indian economy has shown considerable resilience to the global economic crisis by maintaining one of the highest growth rates in the world. The services sector accounted for around 88% of the growth rate in real gross domestic product in 2008–09. To demystify the relatively resilient growth of the services sector in India, this study examines both the demand-side and the supply-side factors that have contributed to its growth. To assess the role of external demand, income elasticity of export demand for the aggregated services and some of the disaggregated services of India were estimated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank Institute in its series ADBI Working Papers with number 311.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 04 Oct 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku,, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
indian services sector; indian economy; global economic crisis;
Other versions of this item:
- Abhijit Das & Rashmi Banga & Dinesh Kumar, 2011. "Global Economic Crisis : Impact and Restructuring of the Services Sector in India," Microeconomics Working Papers 23225, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Abhijit Das & Rashmi Banga & Dinesh Kumar, 2011. "Global Economic Crisis : Impact and Restructuring of the Services Sector in India," Trade Working Papers 23225, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L86 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Information and Internet Services; Computer Software
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-15 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catherine L. Mann, 2004. "The US Current Account, New Economy Services, and Implications for Sustainability," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(2), pages 262-276, 05.
- Alan V. Deardorff & Saul H. Hymans & Robert M Stern & Chong Xiang, 2000. "Forecasting U.S. Trade in Services," Working Papers 467, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Rebba Vincenzo & Rizzi Dino, 2007.
"Measuring Hospital Efficiency through Data Envelopment Analysis when Policy-makers' Preferences Matter. An Application to a Sample of Italian NHS Hospitals,"
Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 233-258.
- Dino Rizzi & Vincenzo Rebba, 2006. "Measuring Hospital Efficiency through Data Envelopment Analysis when Policy-makers’ Preferences Matter. An Application to a sample of Italian NHS hospitals," Working Papers 2006_13, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Simon Wren-Lewis & Rebecca Driver, 1998.
"Real Exchange Rates for the Year 2000,"
Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics,
Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa54, November.
- Alam, Ila M Semenick, 2001. "A Nonparametric Approach for Assessing Productivity Dynamics of Large U.S. Banks," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(1), pages 121-39, February.
- Abdelhak S. Senhadji & Claudio E. Montenegro, 1999. "Time Series Analysis of Export Demand Equations: A Cross-Country Analysis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(3), pages 2.
- Houthakker, Hendrik S & Magee, Stephen P, 1969. "Income and Price Elasticities in World Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(2), pages 111-25, May.
- Sufian, Fadzlan & Abdul Majid, Muhamed Zulkhibri, 2007. "Bank Ownership, Characteristics and Performance: A Comparative Analysis of Domestic and Foreign Islamic Banks in Malaysia," MPRA Paper 12131, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Jun 2007.
- Rajesh, Raj & Bordoloi, Sanjib, 2012. "Investigating the impact of global financial crisis on indian economy in an aggregate demand framework," MPRA Paper 40416, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Hugh Davis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.