The demand for alcohol: a meta-analysis of elasticities
AbstractNumerous studies have estimated elasticities of alcohol demand using different procedures. Because of widespread differences in demand estimates, however, it is difficult to synthesise the literature into coherent meaning. This study improves our understanding of alcohol demand by reporting results from a meta-analysis of 132 studies. Specifically, regressing estimated price, income and advertising elasticities of alcohol on variables accounting for study characteristics, we find alcohol elasticities to be particularly sensitive to demand specification, data issues and various estimation methods. Furthermore, compared to other alcoholic beverages, beer elasticities tend to be more inelastic. Copyright 2007 The Author Journal Compilation 2007 Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society Inc. and Blackwell Publishers Ltd .
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 51 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-8489
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Gallet, Craig A., 2007. "The demand for alcohol: a meta-analysis of elasticities," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(2), June.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Craig A. Gallet & John A. List, 2003. "Cigarette demand: a meta-analysis of elasticities," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(10), pages 821-835.
- Espey, Molly & Thilmany, Dawn D., 2000. "Farm Labor Demand: A Meta-Regression Analysis Of Wage Elasticities," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(01), July.
- Johnson, James A & Oksanen, Ernest H, 1977. "Estimation of Demand for Alcoholic Beverages in Canada from Pooled Time Series and Cross Sections," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 59(1), pages 113-18, February.
- John List & Craig Gallet, 2001. "What Experimental Protocol Influence Disparities Between Actual and Hypothetical Stated Values?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 20(3), pages 241-254, November.
- Eugene M. Lewit & Douglas Coate & Michael Grossman, 1981.
"The Effects of Government Regulation on Teenage Smoking,"
NBER Working Papers
0655, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lewit, Eugene M & Coate, Douglas & Grossman, Michael, 1981. "The Effects of Government Regulation on Teenage Smoking," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(3), pages 545-69, December.
- Lariviere, Eric & Larue, Bruno & Chalfant, Jim, 2000. "Modeling the demand for alcoholic beverages and advertising specifications," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 147-162, March.
- Espey, Molly, 1998. "Gasoline demand revisited: an international meta-analysis of elasticities," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 273-295, June.
- Barnett, Paul G. & Keeler, Theodore E. & Hu, Teh-wei, 1995. "Oligopoly structure and the incidence of cigarette excise taxes," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 457-470, July.
- Craig A. Gallet, 2003. "Advertising and Restrictions in the Cigarette Industry: Evidence of State-by-State Variation," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(3), pages 338-348, 07.
- Smith, V Kerry & Huang, Ju-Chin, 1995. "Can Markets Value Air Quality? A Meta-analysis of Hedonic Property Value Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(1), pages 209-27, February.
- Jon Nelson, 2003. "Advertising Bans, Monopoly, and Alcohol Demand: Testing for Substitution Effects using State Panel Data," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Clements, Kenneth W & Johnson, Lester W, 1983. "The Demand for Beer, Wine, and Spirits: A Systemwide Analysis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56(3), pages 273-304, July.
- Jon P. Nelson, 1999. "Broadcast Advertising and U.S. Demand for Alcoholic Beverages," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(4), pages 774-790, April.
- Cooper, James C. & Wright, Joshua D., 2012. "Alcohol, antitrust, and the 21st Amendment: An empirical examination of post and hold laws," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 379-392.
- Ogundari, Kolawole & Abdulai, Awudu, 2012. "A meta-analysis of the response of calorie demand to income changes," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 123287, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kolawole Ogundari, 2013. "A Note on Socio-Economic Characteristics and the Demand for Beverages in Nigeria: Does Income Matter?," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 43(3), pages 293-302, December.
- Henry Saffer & Dhaval Dave & Michael Grossman, 2012. "Behavioral Economics and the Demand for Alcohol: Results from the NLSY97," NBER Working Papers 18180, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jon Nelson, 2013. "Meta-analysis of alcohol price and income elasticities – with corrections for publication bias," Health Economics Review, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 1-10, December.
- Thompson, Stanley R. & Sam, Abdoul G., 2008. "Country of Origin Advertising and U.S. Wine Imports," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6553, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Meng, Yang & Brennan, Alan & Purshouse, Robin & Hill-McManus, Daniel & Angus, Colin & Holmes, John & Meier, Petra Sylvia, 2014. "Estimation of own and cross price elasticities of alcohol demand in the UK—A pseudo-panel approach using the Living Costs and Food Survey 2001–2009," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 96-103.
- Jon P. Nelson, 2013. "Does Heavy Drinking by Adults Respond to Higher Alcohol Prices and Taxes? A Survey and Assessment," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 43(3), pages 265-291, December.
- Nelson, Jon P., 2014. "Estimating the price elasticity of beer: Meta-analysis of data with heterogeneity, dependence, and publication bias," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 180-187.
- Ogundari, Kolawole & Abdulai, Awudu, 2013. "Examining the heterogeneity in calorie–income elasticities: A meta-analysis," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 119-128.
- Gallet, Craig A., 2010.
"The income elasticity of meat: a meta-analysis,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(4), December.
- Craig A. Gallet, 2010. "The income elasticity of meat: a meta-analysis," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(4), pages 477-490, October.
- Zoltan Bakucs & Imre Ferto & Jan Falkowski, 2013.
"What causes asymmetric price transmission in agro-food sector? Meta-analysis perspective,"
IEHAS Discussion Papers
1303, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Bakucs, Lajos Zoltan & Falkowski, Jan & Ferto, Imre, 2012. "What causes asymmetric price transmission in agro-food sector? Meta-analysis perspective," 86th Annual Conference, April 16-18, 2012, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 134765, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Yen, Steven T. & Yuan, Yan & Liu, Xiaowen, 2009. "Alcohol consumption by men in China: A non-Gaussian censored system approach," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 162-173, June.
- Friberg, Richard & Paterson, Robert W & Richardson, Andrew D, 2010. "Why is there a home bias? A case study of Wine," CEPR Discussion Papers 7885, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Preety Srivastava & Keith R. McLaren & Michael Wohlgenant & Xueyan Zhao, 2014. "Econometric Modelling of Price Response by Alcohol Types to Inform Alcohol Tax Policies," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 5/14, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Benjamin Volland, 2013. "The History of an Inferior Good: Beer Consumption in Germany," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2012-19, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Amikuzuno, Joseph & Ogundari, Kolawole, 2012. "The Contribution of Agricultural Economics to Price transmission Analysis and Market Policy in Sub-Sahara Africa: What Does the Literature Say?," 86th Annual Conference, April 16-18, 2012, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 134754, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Joshua Byrnes & Dennis Petrie & Christopher Doran & Anthony Shakeshaft, 2012.
"The efficiency of a volumetric alcohol tax in Australia,"
Applied Health Economics and Health Policy,
Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 37-49, January.
- Joshua Byrnes & Dennis J. Petrie & Christopher M. Doran & Anthony Shakeshaft, 2012. "The Efficiency of a Volumetric Alcohol Tax in Australia," Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, Springer Healthcare | Adis, vol. 10(1), pages 37-49.
- Deselnicu, Oana C. & Costanigro, Marco & Souza-Monteiro, Diogo M. & McFadden, Dawn Thilmany, 2013. "A Meta-Analysis of Geographical Indication Food Valuation Studies: What Drives the Premium for Origin-Based Labels?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(2), August.
- Nelson, Jon P., 2014. "Binge Drinking, Alcohol Prices, And Alcohol Taxes," Working Papers 164652, American Association of Wine Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.