World Fibers Demand
AbstractThis paper analyses the world demand for fibers using the system-wide approach with three dimensionÂ—product X space X time. We investigate to what extent differences in international consumption patterns of fibers can be explained by differences in incomes and prices faced by different consumers. A novel approach to cross-country consumption comparisons is employed to avoid the troublesome problem of what exchange rates to use when converting data into a common currency unit. We use data from the ten largest consuming countries to estimate demand systems and then examine how they perform in predicting consumption patterns in a large number of out-of-sample countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2001)
Issue (Month): 01 (April)
demand systems; fibers demand; international consumption comparisons; Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barten, Anton P, 1993. "Consumer Allocation Models: Choice of Functional Form," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 129-58.
- Dudley, George E., 1974. "U.S. Textile Fiber Demand: Price Elasticities in Major End-Use Markets," Technical Bulletins 158591, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Selvanathan, E. Antony, 1985. "An even simpler differential demand system," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 343-347.
- Keller, W.J. & Van Driel, J., 1985. "Differential consumer demand systems," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 375-390.
- Mues, Colin & Simmons, Phil, 1988. "The Effects of US Farm Policy on Australian Cotton Revenues," 1988 Conference (32nd), February 8-11, 1988, Melbourne, Australia 144045, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- James Fogarty, 2004. "The Own-Price Elasticity of Alcohol: A Meta-Analysis," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 04-01, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Hoque, Ziaul & Farquharson, Robert J. & Taylor, Ian & Walker, Steve & Osten, Vikki & Jones, Randall E., 2003. "The economic cost of weeds in dryland cotton production systems of Australia," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57893, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.