Evaluating Consumer Perceptions And Preferences For Pasture-Raised Pork In The Mississippi Delta Of Arkansas
AbstractThis research provides baseline information about consumers' concerns, preferences, and market existence for pasture-raised pork in the Mississippi Delta area of Arkansas. Consumer preferences for pasture-raised pork are evaluated by examining the relationships between consumers' willingness to buy and their perception and acceptance of pasture-raised pork. The hypotheses were developed based on a market survey conducted during 1998. Using maximum-likelihood behavioral and demographic models, our results show consumer preferences drive the assured market that exists for pasture-raised pork in urban areas of the Delta among affluent, educated, health-conscious consumers who are prepared to pay a premium price for it.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia in its journal Journal of Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 18 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Arkansas; consumer preferences; market potential; Mississippi Delta; pasture-raised pork; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety; Livestock Production/Industries;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Piedra, Mario A. & Schupp, Alvin R. & Montgomery, Donna E., 1996. "Consumer Use Of Nutrition Labels On Packaged Meats," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 27(2), July.
- Lin, Chung-Tung Jordan, 1995. "Demographic And Socioeconomic Influences On The Importance Of Food Safety In Food Shopping," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 24(2), October.
- Erikson, Glade R. & Wahl, Thomas I. & Jussaume, Raymond A., Jr. & Shi, Hongqi, 1998. "Product Characteristics Affecting Consumers' Fresh Beef Cut Purchasing Decisions In The United States, Japan, And Australia," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 29(3), November.
- Moutou, Christele & Brester, Gary W., 1998. "Trends In U.S. Wheat-Based Food Consumption: Nutrition, Convenience, And Ethnic Foods," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 29(2), July.
- Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr., 1996. "Determinants Of Consumers' Use Of Nutritional Information On Food Packages," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.