Cross-Hedging Cottonseed Meal
AbstractThis study examines the feasibility of cross-hedging cottonseed meal with soybean meal futures. A simple linear regression of cottonseed meal cash prices on soybean meal futures provides a direct price movement relationship. Using the estimated hedge ratios, the net realized prices are calculated for seven different cash markets. The net realized prices are higher than cash prices in three of the four years evaluated. The empirical analyses suggest soybean meal futures can be used as a potential cross-hedging vehicle for cash cottonseed meal.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia in its journal Journal of Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 19 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
cottonseed meal; cross-hedging; hedging ratios; soybean meal; Marketing;
Other versions of this item:
- Rahman, Shaikh Mahfuzur & Turner, Steven C. & Costa, Ecio de Farias, 2000. "Cross-Hedging Cottonseed Meal," Faculty Series 16707, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Rahman, Shaikh Mahfuzur & Turner, Steven C. & Costa, Ecio de Farias, 2000. "Cross-Hedging Cottonseed Meal," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21769, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- DeJong, David N., 1992. "Co-integration and trend-stationarity in macroeconomic time series : Evidence from the likelihood function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 347-370, June.
- Heifner, Richard G., 1972. "Optimal Hedging Levels and Hedging Effectiveness in Cattle Feeding," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 2.
- Hayenga, Marvin L. & Jiang, Bingrong & Lence, Sergio H., 1996.
"Improving Wholesale Beef and Pork Product Cross Hedging,"
Staff General Research Papers
5004, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Marvin L. Hayenga & Bingrong Jiang & Sergio H. Lence, 1996. "Improving wholesale beef and pork product cross hedging," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(6), pages 541-559.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1981. "Cross Hedging," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1182-96, December.
- Dahlgran, Roger A., 2007. "Inventory and Transformation Hedging Effectiveness in Corn Crushing," 2007 Conference, April 16-17, 2007, Chicago, Illinois 37557, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Dahlgran, Roger A., 2002. "Inventory And Transformation Risks In Soybean Processing," 2002 Conference, April 22-23, 2002, St. Louis, Missouri 19054, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Adams, Zeno & Gerner, Mathias, 2012. "Cross hedging jet-fuel price exposure," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1301-1309.
- Dahlgran, Roger A., 2005. "Hedging Cash Flows from Commodity Processing," 2005 Conference, April 18-19, 2005, St. Louis, Missouri 19046, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Quintino, Derick David & David, Sergio Adriani, 2013. "Quantitative analysis of feasibility of hydrous ethanol futures contracts in Brazil," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 927-935.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Parcell, Joseph L., 2002. "Cash Ethanol Cross-Hedging Opportunities," Working Papers 26035, University of Missouri Columbia, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Dahlgran, Roger A. & Ma, Xudong, 2008. "Hedge Effectiveness Forecasting," 2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri 37604, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.