Export Subsidies And Profit-Shifting In Vertical Markets
AbstractThis study examines the interaction between export subsidies and profit-shifting in a vertical production system consisting of agricultural commodity production, and intermediate and final good processing, where the latter two stages may be characterized by imperfect competition. Using a model with general functional forms for demand, comparative statics indicate that an export subsidy to an unprocessed agricultural commodity, under certain circumstances, can have greater profit-shifting effects at the final processing stage compared to an export subsidy targeted at the final processed good.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (2001)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Friedman, James, 1993.
Handbook of Mathematical Economics,
in: K. J. Arrow & M.D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 4, volume 2, chapter 11, pages 491-534
- Ishikawa, Jota & Spencer, Barbara J., 1999.
"Rent-shifting export subsidies with an imported intermediate product,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 199-232, August.
- Jota Ishikawa & Barbara J. Spencer, 1996. "Rent-Shifting Export Subsidies with an Imported Intermediate Product," NBER Working Papers 5458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1995.
"Public Policy Towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1243, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1997. "Public Policy towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 642-62, September.
- D Leahy & J.P. Neary, 1995. "Public Policy Towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0270, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Anania, Giovanni & Bohman, Mary & Carter, Colin A., 1991. "U.S. Export Subsidies in Wheat: Strategic Trade Policy or An Expensive Beggar-My-Neighbor tactic?," Working Papers 51148, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Sanjib Bhuyan & Rigoberto A. Lopez, 1997. "Oligopoly Power in the Food and Tobacco Industries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 1035-1043.
- Salinger, Michael A, 1988. "Vertical Mergers and Market Foreclosure," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(2), pages 345-56, May.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1984. "International Trade Policy for Oligopolistic Industries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(376a), pages 1-16, Supplemen.
- Scoppola, Margherita, 1995. "Multinationals and agricultural policy in the EC and USA," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 11-25, February.
- Pavel Ciaian & d'Artis Kancs & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2008.
"Static and Dynamic Distributional Effects of Decoupled Payments: Single Farm Payments in the European Union,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
20708, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d’Artis & Swinnen, Jo, 2012. "Income Distributional Effects of Decoupled Payments: Single Payment Scheme in the European Union," Factor Markets Working Papers 134, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Pavel Ciaian & d’Artis Kancs & Johan Swinnen, 2010.
"EU Land Markets and the Common Agricultural Policy,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2010_47, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2012. "European Union Land Markets and the Common Agricultural Policy," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126683, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Reimer, Jeffrey J. & Stiegert, Kyle W., 2006. "Evidence on Imperfect Competition and Strategic Trade Theory," Staff Paper Series 498, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.