Welfare Decomposition in the Context of the Life Cycle of Farm Operators: What Does a National Survey Reveal?
AbstractThis paper examines the role of the life cycle in impacting the distribution of a combined income and wealth measure using data from the 2001 and 2006 Agricultural Resource Management Survey. Such an assessment is made using both graphical representation of the distribution of the well-being measure along with utilization of the social welfare decomposition procedure. Results show a mild yet statistically insignificant improvement in the distribution of the economic measure over the five-year period. Contribution to social welfare is found highest among the cohort where the age of the head of household is between 45 and 54 years. Targeted programs are found to enhance social welfare if they are aimed towards cohorts where the age of the head of household is younger than 35 years or where the age of the head of household is in the 35-to-44 age group, depending on whether the analysis is based on a per-farm household or on a per-capita basis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association in its journal Agricultural and Resource Economics Review.
Volume (Year): 38 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
ARMS; economic well-being; Gini coefficient; Lorenz curve; welfare decomposition; Consumer/Household Economics;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pyatt, Graham & Chen, Chau-nan & Fei, John, 1980. "The Distribution of Income by Factor Components," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 95(3), pages 451-73, November.
- Bishop, John A & Formby, John P & Thistle, Paul D, 1992. "Explaining Interstate Variation in Income Inequality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 553-57, August.
- Richard V. Burkhauser & J. S. Butler & James T. Wilkinson, 1985. "Estimating Changes in Well-Being Across Life: A Realized vs. Comprehensive Income Approach," NBER Chapters, in: Horizontal Equity, Uncertainty, and Economic Well-Being, pages 69-90 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard V. Burkhauser & Timothy M. Smeeding & Joachim Merz, 1994.
"Relative Inequality and Poverty in Germany and the United States Using Alternative Equivalence Scales,"
12, Research Institute on Professions (Forschungsinstitut Freie Berufe (FFB)), LEUPHANA University Lüneburg.
- Burkhauser, Richard V & Smeeding, Timothy M & Merz, Joachim, 1996. "Relative Inequality and Poverty in Germany and the United States Using Alternative Equivalence Scales," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 42(4), pages 381-400, December.
- Burkhauser, Richard V. & Smeeding, Timothy M. & Merz, Joachim, 1994. "Relative Inequality and Poverty in Germany and the United States Using Alternative Equivalence Scales," MPRA Paper 16295, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Burkhauser, Richard V. & Smeeding, Timothy M. & Merz, Joachim, 1994. "Relative Inequality and Poverty in Germany and the United States Using Alternative Equivalence Scales," MPRA Paper 7229, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David E. A. Giles, 2002.
"Calculating a Standard Error for the Gini Coefficient: Some Further Results,"
Econometrics Working Papers
0202, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- David E. A. Giles, 2004. "Calculating a Standard Error for the Gini Coefficient: Some Further Results," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(3), pages 425-433, 07.
- Lerman, Robert I. & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1989. "Improving the accuracy of estimates of Gini coefficients," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 43-47, September.
- Kotlikoff, Laurence J & Summers, Lawrence H, 1981.
"The Role of Intergenerational Transfers in Aggregate Capital Accumulation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 706-32, August.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Lawrence H. Summers, 1980. "The Role of Intergenerational Transfers in Aggregate Capital Accumulation," NBER Working Papers 0445, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Esfandiar Maasoumi & Almas Heshmati, 2000.
"Stochastic dominance amongst swedish income distributions,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 287-320.
- Heshmati, Almas & Maasoumi, Esfandiar, 1998. "Stochastic Dominance Amongst Swedish Income Distributions," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 279, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Sen, Amartya, 1974. "Informational bases of alternative welfare approaches : Aggregation and income distribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 387-403, November.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & El-Osta, Hisham S. & Morehart, Mitchell J. & Johnson, James D. & Hopkins, Jeffrey W., 2002. "Income, Wealth, And The Economic Well-Being Of Farm Households," Agricultural Economics Reports 33967, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Branko Milanovic, 2002.
"True World Income Distribution, 1988 and 1993: First Calculation Based on Household Surveys Alone,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(476), pages 51-92, January.
- Branko milanovic, 2003. "True world income distribution, 1988 and 1993: First calculation based on household surveys alo," HEW 0305002, EconWPA.
- Milanovic, Branko, 1999. "True world income distribution, 1988 and 1993 - first calculations, based on household surveys alone," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2244, The World Bank.
- Singh, S K & Maddala, G S, 1976. "A Function for Size Distribution of Incomes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(5), pages 963-70, September.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Gardner, Bruce L, 1992. "Changing Economic Perspectives on the Farm Problem," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(1), pages 62-101, March.
- Charles M. Beach & James Richmond, 1982. "Joint Confidence Bands for Lorenz Curves," Working Papers 485, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Larson, Donald K. & Carlin, Thomas A., 1974. "Income And Economic Status Of People With Farm Earnings," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 6(02), December.
- Paglin, Morton, 1975. "The Measurement and Trend of Inequality: A Basic Revision," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(4), pages 598-609, September.
- Gary Burtless, 2003. "Has Widening Inequality Promoted or Retarded US Growth?," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 29(s1), pages 185-202, January.
- Claudia Biancotti, 2006. "A polarization of inequality? The distribution of national Gini coefficients 1970–1996," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 1-32, April.
- El-Osta, Hisham S. & Morehart, Mitchell J., 2002. "The Dynamics of Wealth Concentration Among Farm Operator Households," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 31(1), April.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Mary C. Daly & Heather N. Royer, 2000. "Cyclical and demographic influences on the distribution of income in California," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 1-13.
- El-Osta, Hisham S. & Mishra, Ashok K., 2005. "Dimensions of Wealth Dispersion Among Farm Operator Households: An Assessment of the Impact of Farm Subsidies," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(01), April.
- Orden, David, 2003. "U. S. agricultural policy," TMD discussion papers 109, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Pundarik Mukhopadhaya, 2001. "Efficiency Criteria and the Sen-type Social Welfare Function," Departmental Working Papers wp0114, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2005-05 is not listed on IDEAS
- Reddy, Wenkateshwar K. & Findeis, Jill L., 1987. "Decomposition Of Income Distribution Among Farm Families," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 16(2), October.
- Kearl, J. R. & Pope, Clayne L., 1983. "The Life Cycle in Economic History," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(01), pages 149-158, March.
- Gottschalk, Peter, 1993. "Changes in Inequality of Family Income in Seven Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 136-42, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.