Income and Wealth Inequality and the Life Cycle: A Non-parametric Analysis for China
AbstractThis paper uses the techniques of non-parametric density and regression estimation to estimate the Chinese age/income and age/wealth distributions, using survey data relating to 1987. Although there is evidence of a clear life-cycle profile of income earning and wealth accumulation, the results suggest that only a small part of observed inequality can be explained by life-cycle factors. This finding contradicts the results of some other researchers. Copyright 1993 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 8 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (July-Sept.)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rolf Aaberge & Yu Zhu, 1998.
"The Pattern of Household Savings during a Hyperinflation The Case of Urban China in the Late 1980s,"
217, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Zhu, Yu, 2001. "The Pattern of Household Savings during a Hyperinflation: The Case of Urban China in the Late 1980s," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 47(2), pages 181-202, June.
- Hisham S. El-Osta, 2010. "Inequality decomposition of farm family living expenditures and the role of the life cycle," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 70(2), pages 245-266, August.
- Aldershof, T., 1999. "Female Labor Supply and Housing Decisions," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-80018, Tilburg University.
- Trede, Mark, 1997.
"Making mobility visible: A graphical device,"
Discussion Papers in Statistics and Econometrics
2/97, University of Cologne, Department for Economic and Social Statistics.
- D. K. Ginther, . "A nonparametric analysis of the U.S. earnings distribution," Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers 1067-95, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
- Michael Gerfin, 1994.
"Income Distribution, Income Inequality and Life Cycle Effects - A Nonparametric Analysis for Switzerland,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 130(III), pages 509-522, September.
- Michael Gerfin, 1994. "Income Distribution, Income Inequality and Life Cycle Effects - A Nonparametric Analysis for Switzerland," Diskussionsschriften dp9405, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- R. Carter Hill & Kang-sun Lee, . "Performance of Bandwidth Selection Rules for the Local Linear Regression," Departmental Working Papers 2001-10, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00175923 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ingvild Almås & Magne Mogstad, 2009.
"Older or Wealthier? The Impact of Age Adjustments on the Wealth Inequality Ranking of Countries,"
583, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Almås, Ingvild & Mogstad, Magne, 2010. "Older or Wealthier? The Impact of Age Adjustment on Cross-Sectional Inequality Measures," Discussion Paper Series in Economics 9/2010, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Ingvild Almas & Magne Mogstady, 2009. "Older or Wealthier?: The Impact of Age Adjustments on the Wealth Inequality Ranking of Countries," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 181, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Ingvild Almås & Magne Mogstady, 2009. "Older or wealthier? The impact of age adjustments on the wealth inequality ranking of countries," Working Papers 113, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Maria Manuela Nêveda Da Costa & Jianjun Ji, 2004. "Rural-Urban Economic Disparities among China’s Elderly," ERSA conference papers ersa04p444, European Regional Science Association.
- Emmanuel Flachaire & Olivier G. Núñez, 2003.
"Estimation Of Income Distribution And Detection Of Subpopulations: An Explanatory Model,"
Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers
ws030201, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- El-Osta, Hisham S. & Morehart, Mitchell J., 2009. "Welfare Decomposition in the Context of the Life Cycle of Farm Operators: What Does a National Survey Reveal?," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 38(2), October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.