Measuring X-Efficiency And Scale Efficiency For A Sample Of Agricultural Cooperatives
AbstractThis paper examines the efficiency of a sample of Great Plains grain marketing and farm supply cooperatives during 1988 to 1992. In general, larger cooperatives were more X-efficient and scale efficient. Labor tended to be under-utilized and capital over-utilized. Petroleum product sales and fertilizer sales were negatively related to overall efficiency. Sales of goods other than grain, fertilizers, agricultural chemicals, petroleum products, and feed was positively related to overall efficiency. Overall efficiency was significantly correlated with the rate of return to assets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association in its journal Agricultural and Resource Economics Review.
Volume (Year): 29 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Akridge, Jay T. & Hertel, Thomas W., 1992. "Cooperative and Investor-Oriented Firm Efficiency: A Multiproduct Analysis," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 7.
- Joseph W. Meador & Harley E. Ryan Jr., 1997. "Product Focus versus Diversification: Estimates of X-Efficiency for the US Life Insurance Industry," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-16, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Russell, Levi A. & Briggeman, Brian C. & Featherstone, Allen M., 2013. "Debt and Input Misallocation in Farm Supply and Marketing Cooperatives: A DEA Approach," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150445, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Ariyaratne, Chatura B. & Featherstone, Allen M. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Barton, David G., 1997. "An Analysis of Efficiency of Midwestern Agricultural Cooperatives," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35763, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Hailu, Getu & Goddard, Ellen W. & Jeffrey, Scott R., 2005. "Measuring Efficiency in Fruit and Vegetable Marketing Co-operatives with Heterogeneous Technologies in Canada," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19507, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Barton, David G., 2004. "A Comparison of Traditional and Newly Emerging Forms of Cooperative Capitalization," 2004 Annual Meeting, November 2-3 31794, NCERA-194 Research on Cooperatives.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.