A Note on the Links Between Manufacturing, Goods and Services Exports
AbstractThe paper deals with the links between goods and cross-borders services exports. First it explains the reasons why services exports are presumably connected with manufacturing exports and altogether to goods exports. The paper scrutinises the various headings of the services account of the BOP. It points out that firms, whether manufacturing or services-producing tend to exports both goods and services. It then turns to the international division of labour and fragmentation process. Second, the paper proposes statistical analyses based on time series of goods and services exports. The first one concerns annual one-digit headings for 13 developed countries. The last one pertains to quarterly data from 1994 to 2011 for 24 developed countries. Not surprisingly, the results tend to ascertain the complementarities of the two types of exports, with a correlation of around 60 %. This exploratory study however calls for future improvements and reconsiderations that could go beyond basic time series analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania in its journal The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal.
Volume (Year): 14 (2012)
Issue (Month): Special No. 6 (November)
Services trade; international trade; goods & services exports;
Other versions of this item:
- Damien Broussolle, 2012. "A note on the links between manufacturing, goods and services exports," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2012-09, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg (France).
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carolina Lennon, 2009.
"Trade in Services: Cross-Border Trade vs. Commercial Presence. Evidence of Complementarity,"
wiiw Working Papers
59, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Carolina Lennon, 2008. "Trade in services: Cross-border trade vs commercial presence. Evidence of complementarity," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586217, HAL.
- Joseph F. Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2009.
"Services Trade and Policy,"
Economics working papers
2009-03, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Carolina Lennon, 2008.
"Trade in services and trade in goods: differences and complementarities,"
PSE Working Papers
- Carolina Lennon, 2009. "Trade in Services and Trade in Goods: Differences and Complementarities," wiiw Working Papers 53, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Deardorff, A.V., 2000.
"International Provision of Trade Services, Trade, and Fragmentation,"
463, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Deardorff, Alan V, 2001. "International Provision of Trade Services, Trade, and Fragmentation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 233-48, May.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 2001. "International provision of trade services, trade, and fragmentation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2548, The World Bank.
- Fukunari Kimura & Hyun-Hoon Lee, 2006. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade in Services," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(1), pages 92-121, April.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Emmanuel Milet & Daniel Mirza, 2010.
"Les firmes françaises dans le commerce de service,"
2010-28, CEPII research center.
- Gaulier, Guillaume & Milet, Emmanuel & Mirza, Daniel, 2010. "Les firmes françaises dans le commerce de services," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1008, CEPREMAP.
- Benjamin Nefussi & Cyrille Schwellnus, 2007.
"Does FDI in Manufacturing Cause FDI in Business Services? Evidence from French Firm-Level Data,"
2007-21, CEPII research center.
- Benjamin Nefussi & Cyrille Schwellnus, 2010. "Does FDI in manufacturing cause FDI in business services? Evidence from French firm-level data," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 43(1), pages 180-203, February.
- Damien Broussolle, 2012. "Le commerce des services, un commerce en trompe-l'œil ?. Une analyse fondée sur le point de vue de Hill," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 63(6), pages 1145-1177.
- Dinu Vasile, 2008. "The logistics of merchandise," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 10(24), pages 5-6, June.
- Valentin Cojanu, 2007. "Competitiveness of trade in services: some problems of measurement," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 9(22), pages 147-152, June.
- Janet Ceglowski, 2006. "Does Gravity Matter in a Service Economy?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(2), pages 307-329, July.
- Clement Yuk Pang Wong & Jinhui Wu & Anming Zhang, 2006. "A Model of Trade Liberalization in Services," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 148-168, 02.
- Matthieu Crozet & Daniel Mirza & Emmanuel Millet, 2010. "The Ultra-Select Club of Service Export Firms," La Lettre du CEPII, CEPII research center, issue 302.
- Gheorghe Savoiu & Consuela Necsulescu & Marian Taicu & Luminita Serbanescu, Emil Crisan, 2014. "Level of Satisfaction of Educational Services Consumers. Impact and Consequences for the Responsibility of an Economics Faculty," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 16(35), pages 88, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valentin Dumitru).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.