EU Enlargement : Challenges for Germany's New Laender
EU enlargement offers significant welfare gains to old and new member states. However, these welfare gains do not come automatically but have to be earned by appropriate adjustments in domestic policies. This is particularly relevant for Germany's New Laender, which could benefit from the proximity to the new EU member states in Central and Eastern Europe but which also suffer particularly from inefficient institutions in Germany. Welfare gains will only be realised if wage adjustment is flexible. Instead, the German welfare system implicitly creates downward rigid wages. Without appropriate social policy reforms, the competitive pressure and the mobility of capital will destroy jobs in the New Laender. The paper shows the potential benefits and risks of economic integration in a simple partial equilibrium setting with flexible and rigid labour markets, respectively. We also discuss the entrepreneurial willingness and ability in the New Laender to adjust to the changing competitive conditions after EU enlargement.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++49 351 463 2196
Fax: ++49 351 463 7739
Web page: http://www.tu-dresden.de/wiwi/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brenton, Paul & DiMauro, Francesca & Lücke, Matthias, 1998.
"Economic integration and FDI: an empirical analysis of foreign investment in the EU and in Central and Eastern Europe,"
Kiel Working Papers
890, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Paul Brenton & Francesca Di Mauro & Matthias LÃ¼cke, 1999. "Economic Integration and FDI: An Empirical Analysis of Foreign Investment in the EU and in Central and Eastern Europe," Empirica, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 95-121, June.
- Wolfgang Gerstenberger, 2004. "Auswirkungen der EU-Osterweiterung auf Wirtschaft und Arbeitsmarkt in Sachsen," ifo Dresden berichtet, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 11(01), pages 5-18, 02.
- Wolfgang Gerstenberger & Beate Grundig & Herbert Hofmann & Carsten Pohl & Heinz Schmalholz & Carola Vögtle & Michaela Votteler & Martin Werding, 2004. "Auswirkungen der EU-Osterweiterung auf Wirtschaft und Arbeitsmarkt in Sachsen," ifo Dresden Studien, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, number 35, October.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:88:y:1974:i:1:p:98-116 is not listed on IDEAS
- Davis, Donald R, 1998. "Does European Unemployment Prop Up American Wages? National Labor Markets and Global Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 478-94, June.
- Brecher, Richard A. & Feenstra, Robert C., 1983. "International trade and capital mobility between diversified economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 321-339, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tuddps:0704. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.