Monetary Policy, Stock Returns, and the Role of Credit in the Transmission of Monetary Policy
We use a multi-factor asset pricing model to investigate whether fluctuations in industry stock returns are due to industry stock returns are due to industry-specific shocks or to monetary and other macroeconomic factors. We find that common factors explain a substantial portion of the variation in stock returns, indicating that economic fluctuations are not due to industry-specific factors alone. We also find that disinflationary policy benefits large but not small firms. These results have mixed implications for the view that credit market frictions propagate monetary shocks.
|Date of creation:||05 Feb 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Acrobate PDF File; prepared on IBM PC; to print on PostScript; pages: 30; figures: included|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://220.127.116.11|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stockman, Alan C., 1988.
"Sectoral and national aggregate disturbances to industrial output in seven European countries,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 387-409.
- Alan C. Stockman, 1987. "Sectoral and National Aggregate Disturbances to Industrial Output in Seven European Countries," NBER Working Papers 2313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1994.
"Monetary Policy, Business Cycles, and the Behavior of Small Manufacturing Firms,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(2), pages 309-40, May.
- Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1992. "Monetary Policy, Business Cycles and the Behavior of Small Manufacturing Firms," Working Papers 92-08, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1993. "Monetary policy, business cycles and the behavior of small manufacturing firms," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 93-4, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1993. "Monetary Policy, Business Cycles and the Behavior of Small Manufacturing Firms," Working Papers 93-02, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1991. "Monetary Policy, Business Cycles and the Behavior of Small Manufacturing Firms," NBER Working Papers 3892, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dennis W. Carlton, 1986.
"The Rigidity of Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
1813, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpma:9902006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.