Ireland’s Economic Crisis - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
This paper provides an overview of Ireland’s macroeconomic performance over the past decade. In addition, to presenting the underlying facts about the boom, bust and (currently limited) recovery, the paper also discusses some common fallacies and misrepresentations of economic events in Ireland. The paper concludes with some broader lessons from the Irish experience for Eurozone economic policy and some observations on the role that EMU and the ECB have played in Ireland’s crisis.
|Date of creation:||24 Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +353-1-283 0068
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Danielle Venn, 2009. "Legislation, Collective Bargaining and Enforcement: Updating the OECD Employment Protection Indicators," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 89, OECD Publishing.
- Kelly, Morgan, 2007.
"On the likely Extent of Falls in Irish House Prices,"
Quarterly Economic Commentary: Special Articles,
Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), vol. 2007(2-Summer), pages 42-54.
- Morgan Kelly, 2007. "On the Likely Extent of Falls in Irish House Prices," Working Papers 200701, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Karl Whelan, 2012.
"ELA, Promissory Notes and All That: The Fiscal Costs of Anglo Irish Bank,"
201206, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Karl Whelan, 2012. "ELA, Promissory Notes and All That:The Fiscal Costs of Anglo Irish Bank," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 43(4), pages 653-673.
- Carneiro, Anabela & Portugal, Pedro & Varejão, José, 2013.
"Catastrophic Job Destruction,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7670, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Anabela Carneiro & Pedro Portugal & José Varejão, 2013. "Catastrophic Job destruction," Working Papers w201314, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Anabela Carneiro & Pedro Portugal & Jose Varejão, 2013. "Catastrophic Job Destruction," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 152, OECD Publishing.
- Gibson, Heather D. & Palivos, Theodore & Tavlas, George S., 2014.
"The Crisis in the Euro Area: An Analytic Overview,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(PB), pages 233-239.
- George Provopoulos, 2013. "The Greek Economy and Banking System: Recent Developments and the Way Forward," Special Conference Papers 14, Bank of Greece.
- R. A. Somerville, 2007. "Housing Tenure in Ireland," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 38(1), pages 107-134.
- Lucrezia Reichlin, 2013. "Monetary policy and banks in the euro area: the tale of two crises," Special Conference Papers 26, Bank of Greece.
- Patrick Honohan & Brendan Walsh, 2002. "Catching Up with the Leaders: The Irish Hare," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 33(1), pages 1-78.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucn:wpaper:201306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolas Clifton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.