Productivity Growth in Canadian and U.S. Regulated Industries
This paper compares the productivity growth of a set of Canadian and U.S. regulated industries. Using data from Statistics Canada's KLEMS database and the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, the paper examines productivity growth in transportation services (which includes air and rail), broadcasting and telecommunications, and financial services (which includes financial intermediation and insurance), over the period from 1977 to 2003. The majority of these provide the foundational networks on which other industries rely. These sectors were quite heavily regulated in Canada at the beginning of the period of study (1977), experienced partial deregulation during the period and still faced various types of regulation at the end (2003). Deregulation also occurred in the United States, but regulation has generally been less restrictive there over most of the period. The evidence shows that many of the Canadian industries that underwent deregulation experienced faster labour productivity growth and multifactor productivity growth than did the aggregate Canadian business sector and had similar or higher productivity growth than did their counterparts in the United States over the 1977-to-2003 period. Those industries include rail transportation, broadcasting and telecommunications, financial intermediation and insurance carriers. The airline industry had slower productivity growth in Canada than in the United States over the 1977-to-2003 period.
|Date of creation:||26 Nov 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Tunney's Pasture, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0T6|
Web page: http://www.statcan.gc.ca
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicholas Crafts, 2006. "Regulation and Productivity Performance," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(2), pages 186-202, Summer.
- Baldwin, John R. & Gu, Wulong, 2007. "Long-term Productivity Growth in Canada and the United States," The Canadian Productivity Review 2007013e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis Division.
- Baldwin, John R., 2007. "Productivity Performance in Canada, 1961 to 2005," The Canadian Productivity Review 2007011e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis Division.
- Baldwin, John R. & Fisher, Anthony & Gu, Wulong & Lee, Frank C & Robidoux, Benoit, 2008. "Capital Intensity in Canada and the United States, 1987 to 2003," The Canadian Productivity Review 2008018e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis Division.
- Baldwin, John R. & Gu, Wulong, 2009. "Productivity Performance in Canada, 1961 to 2008: An Update on Long-term Trends," The Canadian Productivity Review 2009025e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis Division.
- Paul Conway & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2006. "Product Market Regulation in the Non-Manufacturing Sectors of OECD Countries: Measurement and Highlights," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 530, OECD Publishing.
- Baldwin, John R. & Gu, Wulong & Yan, Beiling, 2007. "User Guide for Statistics Canada's Annual Multifactor Productivity Program," The Canadian Productivity Review 2007014e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis Division.
- Paul Conway & Donato de Rosa & Giuseppe Nicoletti & Faye Steiner, 2007. "Product market regulation and productivity convergence," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2006(2), pages 39-76.
- Baldwin, John R. & Gu, Wulong, 2007. "Investment and Long-term Productivity Growth in the Canadian Business Sector, 1961 to 2002," The Canadian Productivity Review 2007006e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis Division.
- Baldwin, John R. & Maynard, Jean-Pierre & Tanguay, Marc & Wong, Fanny & Yan, Beiling, 2005. "A Comparison of Canadian and U.S. Productivity Levels: An Exploration of Measurement Issues," Economic Analysis (EA) Research Paper Series 2005028e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Jason Allen & Walter Engert, 2007. "Efficiency and Competition in Canadian Banking," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 2007(Summer), pages 33-45.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:stc:stcp6e:2008020e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Brown)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.