A Comparison of GDP Per Capita in Canada and the United States from 1994 to 2005
This study examines differences in gross domestic product (GDP) per capita between Canada and the United States from 1994 to 2005. The gap in GDP per capita between the two countries has narrowed slightly over this period. The study decomposed the gap into two components: one due to labour productivity and one due to labour market conditions, and shows that the relative importance of the two changed considerably after 2000. The output gap has narrowed slightly since 2000, primarily because Canada's labour market experienced a faster rate of job growth relative to its population than did the United States.
|Date of creation:||31 Aug 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Tunney's Pasture, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0T6|
Web page: http://www.statcan.gc.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baldwin, John R. & Harchaoui, Tarek, 2005.
"The Integration of the Canadian Productivity Accounts Within the System of National Accounts: Current Status and Challenges Ahead,"
Economic Analysis Methodology Paper Series: National Accounts
2005004e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis.
- John R. Baldwin & Tarek M. Harchaoui, 2006. "The Integration of the Canadian Productivity Accounts within the System of National Accounts: Current Status and Challenges Ahead," NBER Chapters, in: A New Architecture for the U.S. National Accounts, pages 439-470 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John R. Baldwin & Tarek Harchaoui, 2005. "The Integration of the Canadian Productivity Accounts within the System of National Accounts: Current Status and Challenges Ahead," NBER Working Papers 11107, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maynard, Jean-Pierre, 2005. "Annual Measure of the Volume of Work Consistent with the SNA: The Canadian Experience," Economic Analysis Methodology Paper Series: National Accounts 2005005e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis.
- Tanguay, Marc & Baldwin, John R. & Wong, Fanny & Maynard, Jean-Pierre & Yan, Beiling, 2005. "A Comparison of Canadian and U.S. Productivity Levels: An Exploration of Measurement Issues," Economic Analysis (EA) Research Paper Series 2005028e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Baldwin, John R. & Wong, Fanny & Maynard, Jean-Pierre, 2005. "The Output Gap Between Canada and the United States: The Role of Productivity (1994-2002)," Insights on the Canadian Economy 2005009e, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:stc:stcp2e:2007016e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Brown)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.