Divorce in norwegian same-sex marriages 1993-2011
Using longitudinal register data, we first present updated descriptive statistics on the total population of same-sex registered partnerships and marriages formed 1993-2010. Second, we investigate the divorce risk of these couples through 2011 and expect to find that the changing composition of same-sex partnerships has lowered their higher divorce risk. Results show that same-sex couples had a higher risk of divorce compared with opposite-sex married couples and that female couples were significantly more divorce prone than male couples. We found no evidence that the gender gap in divorce or the difference between same-sex and opposite-sex couples have narrowed over time.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 8131 Dep, N-0033 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: (+47) 21 09 00 00
Fax: (+47) 21 09 49 73
Web page: http://www.ssb.no/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knut R¯ed & Oddbj¯rn Raaum, 2003. "Administrative registers - Unexplored reservoirs of Scientific Knowledge?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(488), pages F258-F281, 06.
- Matthijs Kalmijn & Anneke Loeve & Dorien Manting, 2007. "Income dynamics in couples and the dissolution of marriage and cohabitation," Demography, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 159-179, February.
- Torkild Lyngstad & Marika Jalovaara, 2010. "A review of the antecedents of union dissolution," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 23(10), pages 257-292, August.
- Joseph Chamie & Barry Mirkin, 2011. "Same‐Sex Marriage: A New Social Phenomenon," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 37(3), pages 529-551, 09.
- Christine Schwartz & Nikki Graf, 2009. "Assortative matching among same-sex and different-sex couples in the United States, 1990-2000," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 21(28), pages 843-878, December.
- Gunnar Andersson & Turid Noack & Ane Seierstad & Harald Weedon-Fekjær, 2006. "The demographics of same-sex marriages in Norway and Sweden," Demography, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 79-98, February.
- Christopher Carpenter & Gary Gates, 2008. "Gay and lesbian partnership: Evidence from California," Demography, Springer, vol. 45(3), pages 573-590, August.
- Dan Black & Gary Gates & Seth Sanders & Lowell Taylor, 2000.
"Demographics of the gay and lesbian population in the United States: Evidence from available systematic data sources,"
Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 139-154, May.
- Dan Black & Gary Gates & Seth Sanders & Lowell Taylor, 1999. "Demographics of the Gay and Lesbian Population in the United States: Evidence from Available Systematic Data Sources," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 12, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssb:dispap:723. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.