Consumer willingness to pay for attributes of west-African poultry: using the microeconometrics of implicit price
Consumer concerns in food purchasing contain a number of attributes, including the nutritional and sanitary values, conditions of breeding and selling, and other social issues. The purpose of this paper is to introduce an analytical and an empirical approaches to estimating the marginal willingness to pay (WTP) for chicken attributes in Cameroon using data from an investigation on the field. First we constructed a theoretical model of implicit price. Secondly, we assumed that WTP for chicken attributes can be derived from estimate hedonic function, there by expressing the prices consumers are willing to pay as function of implicit price of each chicken attributes. Two models are proposed and discussed. Our findings indicate that in spite of the possibility of bargaining the price of the local flesh chicken, consumers substituted it by imported frozen cut chicken which main attributes are low cost, sold in separated parts and available in all urban markets.
|Date of creation:||14 Jan 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Sherbrooke, Québec, J1K 2R1|
Phone: (819) 821-7233
Fax: (819) 821-6930
Web page: http://www.gredi.org/home/documents-de-travail
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jabbar, M. A., 1998.
"Buyer preferences for sheep and goats in southern Nigeria: A hedonic price analysis,"
Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 21-30, January.
- Jabbar, Mohammad A., 1998. "Buyer preferences for sheep and goats in southern Nigeria: A hedonic price analysis," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 18(1), January.
- Jabbar, Mohammad A., 1998. "Buyer Preferences For Sheep And Goats In Southern Nigeria: A Hedonic Price Analysis," Research Reports 182945, International Livestock Research Institute.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Lucas, Robert E B, 1975. "Hedonic Price Functions," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(2), pages 157-178, June.
- Dalton, Timothy J., 2004. "A household hedonic model of rice traits: economic values from farmers in West Africa," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 149-159, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:shr:wpaper:11-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luc Savard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.