Liquidity and Asset Prices
We show in an exchange economy with liquidity constraints that the volume of trade and asset prices depend on both the supply of liquidity by the Central Bank and on the liquidity of assets and commodities. As a result, monetary aggregates are informative for the assessment of economic developments and the conduct of monetary policy. We also show that the positive correlation between state prices and the future spot rate generates a risk-premium in the term structure of interest rates, even in absence of aggregate uncertainty. These results do not obtain in representative agent models but hold in any monetary economy with heterogeneous agents and short-term liquidity effects, where monetary costs act as transaction costs and the quantity theory of money is verified.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.finance.ox.ac.uk|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1982.
"Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy in an Economy Without Capital,"
532, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Lucas, Robert Jr. & Stokey, Nancy L., 1983. "Optimal fiscal and monetary policy in an economy without capital," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 55-93.
- Min Fan, 2006. "Heterogeneous Beliefs, the Term Structure and Time-varying Risk Premia," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 259-285, July.
- Raphaël Espinoza & Charles. Goodhart & Dimitrios Tsomocos, 2009. "State prices, liquidity, and default," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 177-194, May.
- Dimitrios P Tsomocos, 2006.
"Generic Determinacy and Money Non-Neutrality of International Monetary Equilibria,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2006-FE-07, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Tsomocos, Dimitrios P., 2008. "Generic determinacy and money non-neutrality of international monetary equilibria," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(7-8), pages 866-887, July.
- Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2006. "Generic Determinacy and Money Non-Neutrality of International Monetary Equilibria," OFRC Working Papers Series 2006fe07, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- David K. Backus & Allan W. Gregory & Stanley E. Zin, 1986.
"Risk Premiums in the Term Structure : Evidence from Artificial Economies,"
665, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Backus, David K. & Gregory, Allan W. & Zin, Stanley E., 1989. "Risk premiums in the term structure : Evidence from artificial economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 371-399, November.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos, 2003.
"Monetary Equilibrium with Missing Markets,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1389, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1985. "Money and Asset Prices in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pages 919-44, October.
- Grossman, S J & Melino, Angelo & Shiller, Robert J, 1987.
"Estimating the Continuous-Time Consumption-Based Asset-Pricing Model,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 5(3), pages 315-27, July.
- Sanford J. Grossman & Angelo Melino & Robert J. Shiller, 1985. "Estimating the Continuous Time Consumption Based Asset Pricing Model," NBER Working Papers 1643, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sbs:wpsefe:2008fe28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Collett)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.