Stern and his critics on discounting and climate change
This review will focus on the question of discounting. The paper begins with an outline of the expected utility model used in the Stern Review. Next, the question of ‘inherent discounting’, that is, the idea that future outcomes should be discounted simply because they are in the future, is examined, along with the closely related concept of the pure rate of time preference. This discussion forms the basis for an assessment of the approaches to discounting and climate change adopted by the Stern Review and by its critics.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Jun 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Colin Clark Building, no 39, St. Lucia, Qld. 4072|
Phone: +61 7 3365 6601
Fax: +61 7 3365 6601
Web page: http://www.uq.edu.au/rsmg/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quiggin, John, 1982. "A theory of anticipated utility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 323-343, December.
- Grant Simon & Quiggin John, 2005. "What Does the Equity Premium Mean?," The Economists' Voice, De Gruyter, vol. 2(4), pages 1-7, September.
- Louis Kaplow, 2003.
"The Value of a Statistical Life and the Coefficient of Relative Risk Aversion,"
NBER Working Papers
9852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Louis Kaplow, 2005. "The Value of a Statistical Life and the Coefficient of Relative Risk Aversion," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 23-34, July.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-291, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rsm:climte:c07_1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Adamson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.