Aggregate Uncertainty, Money and Banking
This paper studies the problem of monitoring the monitor in a model of money and banking with aggregate uncertainty. It shows that when inside money is required as a means of bank loan repayment, a market of inside money is entailed at the repayment stage and generates information-revealing prices that perfectly discipline the bank. The incentive problem of a bank is costlessly overcome simply by involving inside money in repayment. Inside money distinguishes itself from outside money by its inherent ability to provide incentives even on the existence of multiple banks. Thus, in addition to providing liquidity to the economy, inside money contributes to banking by eliminating the cost of monitoring the bank and improving the efficiency of intermediation. Moreover, this model establishes that markets can be a favorable instrument for incentives of truthful revelation
|Date of creation:||03 Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Williamson, Stephen D., 1986.
"Costly monitoring, financial intermediation, and equilibrium credit rationing,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 159-179, September.
- Stephen D. Williamson, 1984. "Costly Monitoring, Financial Intermediation, and Equilibrium Credit Rationing," Working Papers 583, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Shi, Shouyong, 1996.
"Credit and Money in a Search Model with Divisible Commodities,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(4), pages 627-52, October.
- Shouyong Shi, 1995. "Credit and Money in a Search Model with Divisible Commodities," Working Papers 917, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Stephen Williamson, 2004. "Limited participation, private money, and credit in a spatial model of money," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 857-875, November.
- David Andolfatto & Ed Nosal, 2003.
"A theory of money and banking,"
0310, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Hammond, Peter J, 1987. "Markets as Constraints: Multilateral Incentive Compatibility in Continuum Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(3), pages 399-412, July.
- Krasa, Stefan & Villamil, Anne P, 1992. "A Theory of Optimal Bank Size," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(4), pages 725-49, October.
- Gorton, Gary B. & Haubrich, Joseph G., 1987.
"Bank deregulation, credit markets, and the control of capital,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 289-333, January.
- G. B. Gorton & J. G. Haubrich, . "Bank Deregulation, Credit Markets and the Control of Capital," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 8-86, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- G.B. Gorton & J.G. Haubrich, . "Bank Deregulation, Credit Markets and the Control of Capital," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 08-86, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414, July.
- Winton Andrew, 1995. "Delegated Monitoring and Bank Structure in a Finite Economy," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 158-187, April.
- Hammond, Peter J, 1979. "Straightforward Individual Incentive Compatibility in Large Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 263-82, April.
- Ping He & Lixin Huang & Randall Wright, 2005. "Money And Banking In Search Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(2), pages 637-670, 05.
- Cavalcanti, Ricardo de O & Wallace, Neil, 1999.
"Inside and Outside Money as Alternative Media of Exchange,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(3), pages 443-57, August.
- Ricardo de O. Cavalcanti & Neil Wallace, 1999. "Inside and outside money as alternative media of exchange," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 443-468.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed006:58. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.