The Effects of Market Structure on Industry Growth
We study the behavior of firms in an imperfectly competitive environment in which firms influence the evolution of the stock of capital equipment. Our model enables us, using analytical characterizations, to show the effect of key ingredients of dynamic competition on firm strategies and industry dynamics in addition to the usual static interaction. These effects are the static market externality (implicit in the static Cournot Equilibrium) as well as the dynamic market externality due to the effect on the market outputs of a capital stock and a dynamic externality that stems from the competition between firms for the capital stock. These strategic elements justify our conclusions, based on the study of four market structures, for the link between industrial organization and industry growth
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Novshek, William., 1983.
"Perfectly Competitive Markets as the Limits of Cournot Markets,"
499, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Novshek, William, 1985. "Perfectly competitive markets as the limits of cournot markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 72-82, February.
- Richard Ericson & Ariel Pakes, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82.
- Dutta Prajit K. & Sundaram Rangarajan K., 1993. "How Different Can Strategic Models Be?," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 42-61, June.
- Gaudet, G. & Salant, S., 1988.
"Uniqueness Of Cournot Equilibrium: New Results From Old Methods,"
89-10, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Gérard Gaudet & Stephen W. Salant, 1991. "Uniqueness of Cournot Equilibrium: New Results From Old Methods," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 399-404.
- Gaudet, G. & Salant, S.W., 1988. "Uniqueness Of Cournot Equilibrium: New Results From Old Methods," Cahiers de recherche 8818, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- William Novshek, 1985.
"On the Existence of Cournot Equilibrium,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 52(1), pages 85-98.
- Dutta, Prajit K & Sundaram, Rangarajan, 1992. "Markovian Equilibrium in a Class of Stochastic Games: Existence Theorems for Discounted and Undiscounted Models," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 2(2), pages 197-214, April.
- David Levhari & Leonard J. Mirman, 1980. "The Great Fish War: An Example Using a Dynamic Cournot-Nash Solution," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(1), pages 322-334, Spring.
- Novshek, William, 1984. "Finding All n-Firm Cournot Equilibria," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 61-70, February.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-417, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed004:639. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.