Applying shape and phase restrictions in generalized dynamic categorical models of the business cycle
To match the NBER business cycle features it is necessary to employ Generalised dynamic categorical (GDC) models that impose certain phase restrictions and permit multiple indexes. Theory suggests additional shape restrictions in the form of monotonicity and boundedness of certain transition probabilities. Maximum likelihood and constraint weighted bootstrap estimators are developed to impose these restrictions. In the application these estimators generate improved estimates of how the probability of recession varies with the yield spread.
|Date of creation:||28 Jul 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 07 3138 5066|
Fax: 07 3138 1500
Web page: http://www.ncer.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henderson, Daniel J. & Parmeter, Christopher F., 2009. "Imposing Economic Constraints in Nonparametric Regression: Survey, Implementation and Extension," IZA Discussion Papers 4103, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Don Harding & Adrian Pagan, 2009.
"An Econometric Analysis Of Some Models For Constructed Binary Time Series,"
CAMA Working Papers
2009-08, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Harding, Don & Pagan, Adrian, 2011. "An Econometric Analysis of Some Models for Constructed Binary Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 29(1), pages 86-95.
- Don Harding & Adrian Pagan, 2011. "An Econometric Analysis of Some Models for Constructed Binary Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(1), pages 86-95, January.
- Don Harding & Adrian Pagan, 2009. "An Econometric Analysis of Some Models for Constructed Binary Time Series," NCER Working Paper Series 39, National Centre for Econometric Research, revised 02 Jul 2009.
- Racine, Jeffrey S., 2008. "Nonparametric Econometrics: A Primer," Foundations and Trends(R) in Econometrics, now publishers, vol. 3(1), pages 1-88, March.
- Jeffrey Racine, 2008. "Nonparametric econometrics: a primer (in Russian)," Quantile, Quantile, issue 4, pages 7-56, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qut:auncer:2010_05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (School of Economics and Finance)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask School of Economics and Finance to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.