Government borrowing is pointless where a government issues its own currency
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Ali, Anesa & Pérez Caldentey, Esteban, 2007. "The comparative advantage fallacy and a rule for convergence," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), December.
- Peter Blair Henry, 2007.
"Capital Account Liberalization: Theory, Evidence, and Speculation,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 45(4), pages 887-935, December.
- Henry, Peter B., 2006. "Capital Account Liberalization: Theory, Evidence, and Speculation," Research Papers 1951, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Henry, Peter B., 2007. "Capital Account Liberalization: Theory, Evidence, and Speculation," Research Papers 1974, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Peter Blair Henry, 2006. "Capital Account Liberalization: Theory, Evidence, and Speculation," NBER Working Papers 12698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Blair Henry, 2006. "Capital account liberalization: theory, evidence, and speculation," Working Paper Series 2007-32, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Grossman, Gene M. & Helpman, Elhanan, 1995.
"Technology and trade,"
Handbook of International Economics,in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 25, pages 1279-1337
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1994. "Technology and Trade," Papers 175, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 1995. "Technology and Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 1134, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1994. "Technology and Trade," NBER Working Papers 4926, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011.
"The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences,"
PSL Quarterly Review,
Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 429-438.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Bart Los & Bart Verspagen, 2006.
"The Evolution Of Productivity Gaps And Specialization Patterns,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(4), pages 464-493, November.
- Los, Bart & Verspagen, Bart, 2002. "The evolution of productivity gaps and specialization patterns," CCSO Working Papers 200301, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Paola Criscuolo & Rajneesh Narula, 2008.
"A novel approach to national technological accumulation and absorptive capacity: aggregating Cohen and Levinthal,"
The European Journal of Development Research,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(1), pages 56-73.
- Narula, Rajneesh & Criscuolo, Paola, 2002. "A novel approach to national technological accumulation and absorptive capacity: Aggregating Cohen and Levinthal," Research Memorandum 018, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Dixon, R & Thirlwall, A P, 1975. "A Model of Regional Growth-Rate Differences on Kaldorian Lines," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 201-214, July.
- Davidson, Paul, 1972. "Money and the Real World," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(325), pages 101-115, March.
- Arvind Panagariya, 2000. "Preferential Trade Liberalization: The Traditional Theory and New Developments," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(2), pages 287-331, June.
- Fagerberg, Jan & Verspagen, Bart, 2002.
"Technology-gaps, innovation-diffusion and transformation: an evolutionary interpretation,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1291-1304, December.
- Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen, 2001. "Technology-Gaps, Innovation-Diffusion And Transformation: An Evolutionary Interpretation," Working Papers 11, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Mark Rogers, 2004. "Absorptive capability and economic growth: how do countries catch-up?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(4), pages 577-596, July.
- repec:dgr:rugccs:200301 is not listed on IDEAS
- Abdelhak Senhadji, 1998. "Time-Series Estimation of Structural Import Demand Equations: A Cross-Country Analysis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(2), pages 236-268, June.
- Moreno Brid, Juan Carlos & Pérez Caldentey, Esteban, 2003. "Trade liberalization and economic growth in Central America," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), December.
- Ramesh Chandra & Roger J. Sandilands, 2005. "Does modern endogenous growth theory adequately represent Allyn Young?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(3), pages 463-473, May.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- How to dispose of the national debt in two or three years.
by Ralph Musgrave in Ralphonomics on 2011-04-06 12:44:00
- Reducing the national debt does not involve much austerity.
by Musgrave in Ralphonomics on 2011-02-02 09:04:00
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Musgrave, Ralph S., 2011. "Monetary and fiscal policy should be merged, which in turn changes the role of central banks," MPRA Paper 30521, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Musgrave, Ralph S., 2011. "Consolidation causes little austerity," MPRA Paper 34295, University Library of Munich, Germany.
More about this item
KeywordsAbba Lerner; Modern Monetary Theory; government borrowing;
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- H6 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-01-23 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2010-01-23 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2010-01-23 (Monetary Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:20057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
We have no references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.