Rice Prices and the National Food Authority
This study examines the performance of the National Food Authority (NFA) with respect to its function of price stability and implications for public finances, and recommends policy reforms where warranted. It finds that NFA has been unsuccessful in stabilizing producer prices, but relatively successful in stabilizing retail prices, largely through exercise of its import monopoly. However, it does so at high cost, partly due to operational inefficiency, but largely owing to its fundamental policy mandate. The study recommends relinquishing this mandate, and leaving a greater role for the private sector in stabilizing rice prices, with NFA function and price policy limited to maintaining strategic reserves a variable import levy.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NEDA sa Makati Building, 106 Amorsolo St., Legaspi Village, Makati City,|
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David, Cristina C., 1997. "Food Policy: Its Role in Price Stability and Food Security," Philippine Journal of Development JPD 1997 Vol. XXIV No.1-e, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Yao, Richard T. & Shively, Gerald E. & Masters, William J., 2005.
"How Successful Are Government Interventions In Food Markets? Insights From The Philippine Rice Market,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19263, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Richard Yao & Gerald Shively & William Masters, 2005. "How Successful Are Government Interventions In Food Markets? Insights From The Philippine Rice Market," Working Papers 05-06, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Shively, Gerald & Yao, Richard T. & Masters, William A., 2008. "How Successful Are Government Interventions in Food Markets? Insights from the Philippine Rice Market," Philippine Journal of Development PJD 2007 Vol. XXXIV No. 1, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- David, Cristina C., 1997. "Food Policy: Its Role in Price Stability and Food Security," Discussion Papers DP 1997-11, Philippine Institute for Development Studies. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)