Tax Policy and the Globalisation of R&D
This paper examines the factors influencing the globalisation of R&D, with a particular focus on the role of tax policy, using panel data for 25 OECD countries over the period 1980- 2005. Two measures of R&D internationalisation are considered - R&D directly financed from abroad and R&D expenditure by foreign affiliates of US MNEs. The econometric analysis, which appropriately control for other determinants of inter-country differences in R&D investment, finds no evidence that host country R&D tax policy is an important determinant of MNE R&D location decisions or in attracting additional cross-border contract R&D. There is evidence that affiliate fixed capital stock and total sales are strong determinants of R&D performed by affiliates of US MNEs. Controlling for these variables, host country attributes seemed to be less important. In the case of cross-border contract R&D, host country expenditure on R&D via institutions of higher education is also found to be important.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Feldstein & James R. Hines Jr. & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1995. "The Effects of Taxation on Multinational Corporations," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number feld95-2, December.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Archanun Kohpaiboon, 2006. "Multinational Enterprises and Globalization of R&D: A Study of U.S-based Firms," Departmental Working Papers 2006-06, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1996.
"Intellectual property protection, market orientation and location of overseas R&D activities by multinational enterprises,"
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 673-688, April.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1995. "Intellectual Property Protection, Market Orientation and Location of Overseas R&D Activities by Multinational Enterprises," UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series 01, United Nations University - INTECH.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1979. "The International Allocation of Research Activity by US Multinationals," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 41(4), pages 313-31, November.
- Russell Thomson, 2009.
"Tax Policy and the Globalisation of R&D,"
Departmental Working Papers
2009-03, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Lee G Branstetter & Raymond Fisman & C. Fritz Foley, 2006.
"Do Stronger Intellectual Property Rights Increase International Technology Transfer? Empirical Evidence from U. S. Firm-Level Panel Data,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 121(1), pages 321-349, 02.
- Branstetter, Lee G. & Fisman, Raymond & Foley, C. Fritz, 2004. "Do stronger intellectual property rights increase international technology transfer? Empirical evidence from U.S. firm-level panel data," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3305, The World Bank.
- Walter G. Park & Juan Carlos Ginarte, 1997. "Intellectual Property Rights And Economic Growth," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 15(3), pages 51-61, 07.
- Helmut Gassler & Brigitte Nones, 2008. "Internationalisation of R&D and embeddedness: the case of Austria," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 407-421, August.
- Dunning, John H., 1994. "Multinational enterprises and the globalization of innovatory capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 67-88, January.
- Cantwell, John, 1995. "The Globalisation of Technology: What Remains of the Product Cycle Model?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 155-74, February.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 2001. "Determinants of location of overseas R&D activity of multinational enterprises: the case of US and Japanese corporations1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 159-174, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:papers:2009-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Zec)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.