Growth, Inequality and Structural Adjustment: An Empirical Interpretation of the S-Curve for Indian Economy
Extending the Kuznets' hypothesis of economic growth (KHEG) an attempt is made in the present paper to examine its validity for the Indian Economy during the period 1980-81 through 1997-98. The results provide an econometric explanation for the increase in inequality after 1990-91 and seek to defend the strategy of economic development followed in India. The conclusions suggest that the reason for the inequalities lies in the social and political restructuring taking place in the Indian economy. Need therefore is to investigate the social decomposition of the economic inequality.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/asarc/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Persson, T. & Tabellini, G., 1993.
"Is Inequality Harmful for Growth,"
537, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- List, John A & Gallet, Craig A, 1999. "The Kuznets Curve: What Happens after the Inverted-U?," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 200-206, June.
- Aghion, Philippe & Caroli, Eve & GarcÃa-PeÃ±alosa, Cecilia, 1999.
"Inequality and Economic Growth: The Perspective of the New Growth Theories,"
12502063, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Cecilia Garcia-Penalosa & Eve Caroli & Philippe Aghion, 1999. "Inequality and Economic Growth: The Perspective of the New Growth Theories," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1615-1660, December.
- Aghion, Philippe & Caroli, Eve & Garcia-Penalosa, Cecilia, 1999. "Inequality and economic growth: the perspective of the new growth theories," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9908, CEPREMAP.
- Garcia-Penalosa, Cecilia & Aghion, Philippe & Caroli, Eve, 1999. "Inequality and Economic Growth: The Perspective of the New Growth Theories," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10091, Paris Dauphine University.
- Tribble, Romie, Jr, 1999. "A Restatement of the S-Curve Hypothesis," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 207-14, June.
- Robinson, Sherman, 1976. "A Note on the U Hypothesis Relating Income Inequality and Economic Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(3), pages 437-40, June.
- Kanbur, Ravi, 2000.
"Income distribution and development,"
Handbook of Income Distribution,
in: A.B. Atkinson & F. Bourguignon (ed.), Handbook of Income Distribution, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 13, pages 791-841
- Greenwood, J. & Jovanovic, B., 1990.
"Financial Development, Growth, And The Distribution Of Income,"
University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations Working Papers
9002, University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1990. "Financial Development, Growth, and the Distribution of Income," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 1076-1107, October.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Boyan Jovanovic, 1989. "Financial Development, Growth, and the Distribution of Income," NBER Working Papers 3189, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1988. "Financial Development, Growth, And The Distribution Of Income," Working Papers 88-12, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Greenwood, J. & Jovanovic, B., 1988. "Financial Development, Growth, And The Distribution Of Income," RCER Working Papers 131, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- P. J. Dawson, 1997. "On testing Kuznets' economic growth hypothesis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(7), pages 409-410.
- Ram, Rati, 1995. "Economic Development and Income Inequality: An Overlooked Regression Constraint," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 425-34, January.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521650694 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gaurav Datt, 1999. "Has Poverty Declined since Economic Reforms? Statistical Data Analysis," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-31, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Peter Gottschalk & Timothy M. Smeeding, 1997. "Cross-National Comparisons of Earnings and Income Inequality," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 633-687, June.
- Anand, Sudhir & Kanbur, S. M. R., 1993. "The Kuznets process and the inequality--development relationship," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 25-52, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:asarcc:2004-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Hancock)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.