Hicksian Visions and Vignettes on (Non-Linear) Trade Cycle Theories
Hicks theorized about the trade cycle, from many perspectives, over the whole span of his long, fertile and distinguished profes- sional life. Beginning with thoughts on an equilibrium approach to the problem of the trade cycle in the early 30s, traversing1 those disequilibrium workhorses of macrodynamics, IS-LM and Multiplier- Accelerator models, he returned, in hunted hare fashion, to a Robert- sonian starting point. In this paper I attempt to construct a math- ematical tapestry of some of these Hicksian visions and vignettes, concentrating on (non-linear) trade cycle theories. I suggest that there are still pearls of analytical wisdom, on the non-linear dynam- ics of trade cycle theory, to be extracted from A Contribution to the Theory of the Trade Cycle (CTTC). The unlikely link between the way an economic conundrum, inherent in CTTC, was resolved and the resolution of (Part B of) Hilbert?s 16th Problem for Liénard?s equation is brie?y mentioned.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: St. Anthony's College, Newcastle Road, Galway|
Phone: +353-91 524411 ext. 2501
Fax: +353-91 524130
Web page: http://economics.nuigalway.ie
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S. C. Tsiang, 1951. "Accelerator, Theory of the Firm and the Business Cycle," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(3), pages 325-341.
- Garry J. Schinasi, 1981. "A Nonlinear Dynamic Model of Short Run Fluctuations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(4), pages 649-656.
- Robert M. Solow, 1986. "What Is a Nice Girl Like You Doing in a Place Like This? Macroeconomics after Fifty Years," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 12(3), pages 191-198, Jul-Sep.
- H. R. Hudson, 1957. "A Model Of The Trade Cycle," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 33(66), pages 378-389, December.
- Torre, V, 1977. "Existence of Limit Cycles and Control in Complete Keynesian System by Theory of Bifurcations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(6), pages 1457-66, September.
- Velupillai, K, 1998. "Richard M. Goodwin 1913-1996," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(450), pages 1436-49, September.
- Hicks, J. R., 1987. "Capital and Time: A Neo-Austrian Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198772866, July.
- Hicks, John R, 1974. "Real and Monetary Factors in Economic Fluctuations," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 21(3), pages 205-14, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nig:wpaper:0082. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Srinivas Raghavendra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.