On the Effects of Mergers on Equilibrium Outcomes in a Common Property Renewable Asset Oligopoly
This paper examines a dynamic game of exploitation of a common pool of some renewable asset by agents that sell the result of their exploitation on an oligopolistic market. A Markov Perfect Nash Equilibrium of the game is used to analyze the effects of a merger of a subset of the agents. We study the impact of the merger on the equilibrium production strategies, on the steady states, and on the profitability of the merger for its members. We show that there exists an interval of the asset's stock such that any merger is profitable if the stock at the time the merger is formed falls within that interval. That includes mergers that are known to be unprofitable in the corresponding static equilibrium framework.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (514) 343-6557
Fax: (514) 343-7221
Web page: http://www.cireq.umontreal.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dockner, Engelbert J. & Sorger, Gerhard, 1996. "Existence and Properties of Equilibria for a Dynamic Game on Productive Assets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 209-227, October.
- Gaudet, Gerard & Salant, Stephen W., 1992. "Mergers of producers of perfect complements competing in price," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 359-364, July.
- Morton I. Kamien & Israel Zang, 1987.
"The Limits of Monopolization Through Acquisition,"
754, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Farrell, J. & Shapiro, C., 1988.
"Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis,"
17, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Joseph Farrell and Carl Shapiro., 1988. "Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis," Economics Working Papers 8880, University of California at Berkeley.
- Farrell, Joseph & Shapiro, Carl, 1988. "Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt0tp305nx, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Gaudet, Gerard & Salant, Stephen W, 1991. "Increasing the Profits of a Subset of Firms in Oligopoly Models with Strategic Substitutes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 658-65, June.
- Raymond Deneckere & Carl Davidson, 1985. "Incentives to Form Coalitions with Bertrand Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(4), pages 473-486, Winter.
- Karp, Larry, 1992. "Social Welfare in a Common Property Oligopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(2), pages 353-72, May.
- Benchekroun, Hassan, 2003. "Unilateral production restrictions in a dynamic duopoly," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 214-239, August.
- Robert T. Deacon, 2012. "Fishery Management by Harvester Cooperatives," Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 6(2), pages 258-277, July.
- Perry, Martin K & Porter, Robert H, 1985. "Oligopoly and the Incentive for Horizontal Merger," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 219-27, March.
- Eswaran, Mukesh & Lewis, Tracy R, 1984. "Appropriability and the Extraction of a Common Property Resource," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 51(204), pages 393-400, November.
- Fujiwara, Kenji, 2011.
"Losses from competition in a dynamic game model of a renewable resource oligopoly,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-11, January.
- Kenji Fujiwara, 2010. "Losses from competition in a dynamic game model of a renewable resource oligopoly," Discussion Paper Series 51, School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University, revised Apr 2010.
- Hassan BENCHEKROUN & Gérard GAUDET, 2013.
"On the Effects of Mergers on Equilibrium Outcomes in a Common Property Renewable Asset Oligopoly,"
Cahiers de recherche
16-2013, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Benchekroun, Hassan & Gaudet, Gérard, 2015. "On the effects of mergers on equilibrium outcomes in a common property renewable asset oligopoly," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 209-223.
- BENCHEKROUN, Hassan & GAUDET, Gérard, 2013. "On the effects of mergers on equilibrium outcomes in a common property renewable asset oligopoly," Cahiers de recherche 2013-11, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Hassan Benchekroun & Gérard Gaudet, 2014. "On the Effects of Mergers on Equilibrium Outcomes in a Common Property Renewable Asset Oligopoly," CESifo Working Paper Series 5074, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gaudet, G. & Salant, S., 1989.
"Towards A Theory Of Horizontal Mergers,"
89-24, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- BENCHEKROUN, Hassan, 2005.
"The Double Curse of a Common Property Productive Asset Oligopoly,"
Cahiers de recherche
02-2005, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Benchekroun, Hassan, 2008. "Comparative dynamics in a productive asset oligopoly," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 237-261, January.
- Colombo, Luca & Labrecciosa, Paola, 2013. "Oligopoly exploitation of a private property productive asset," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 838-853.
- McAfee, R Preston & Simons, Joseph J & Williams, Michael A, 1992. "Horizontal Mergers in Spatially Differentiated Noncooperative Markets," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 349-58, December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521637329 is not listed on IDEAS
- Charles F. Mason & Stephen Polasky, 1997. "The Optimal Number of Firms in the Commons: A Dynamic Approach," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1143-60, November.
- Karp, Larry, 1992. "Efficiency Inducing Tax for a Common Property Oligopoly," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(411), pages 321-32, March.
- Benhabib, Jess & Radner, Roy, 1992. "The Joint Exploitation of a Productive Asset: A Game-Theoretic Approach," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 155-90, April.
- Dutta, Prajit K & Sundaram, Rangarajan K, 1993. "The Tragedy of the Commons?," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 413-26, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mtl:montec:16-2013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon BREWER)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.