The Balassa-Samuelson Effect and the Wage, Price and Unemployment Dynamics in Spain
This paper provides an empirical investigation of the wage, price and unemployment dynamics that have taken place in Spain during the last two decades. The aim of this paper is to shed some light on the impact of the European economic integration process on Spanish labour market and the convergence to a European level of prosperity. We find some important lessons to be learnt from the Spanish experience that should be relevant for the new member states. First, high competitiveness in the tradable sector seems crucial for the real and nominal convergence to be successful, implying that the increase of wages in the tradable sector, and subsequently in the nontradable sector, should not be allowed to exceed the growth in productivity. Second, before fixing the real exchange rate it seems crucial that it is on its sustainable (competitive) purchasing power parity level. A real appreciation, as a result of high growth rates during the catching-up period, is likely to be harmful for real growth and employment.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark|
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banerjee, Anindya & Russell, Bill, 2005.
"Inflation and measures of the markup,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 289-306, June.
- Bela Balassa, 1964. "The Purchasing-Power Parity Doctrine: A Reappraisal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 584-584.
- Francesco Caselli & Silvana Tenreyro, 2006.
"Is Poland the Next Spain?,"
in: NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2004, pages 459-533
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Caselli & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "Is Poland the next Spain?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3564, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Francesco Caselli & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "Is Poland the Next Spain?," NBER Working Papers 11045, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Caselli & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "Is Poland the Next Spain?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0668, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Caselli, Francesco & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2005. "Is Poland the Next Spain?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4877, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henrik Hansen & Søren Johansen, 1999. "Some tests for parameter constancy in cointegrated VAR-models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(2), pages 306-333.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kud:kuiedp:0529. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.