The Balassa-Samuelson Effect and the Wage, Price and Unemployment Dynamics in Spain
This paper provides an empirical investigation of the wage, price and unemployment dynamics that have taken place in Spain during the last two decades. The aim of this paper is to shed some light on the impact of the European economic integration process on Spanish labour market and the convergence to a European level of prosperity. We find some important lessons to be learnt from the Spanish experience that should be relevant for the new member states. First, high competitiveness in the tradable sector seems crucial for the real and nominal convergence to be successful, implying that the increase of wages in the tradable sector, and subsequently in the nontradable sector, should not be allowed to exceed the growth in productivity. Second, before fixing the real exchange rate it seems crucial that it is on its sustainable (competitive) purchasing power parity level. A real appreciation, as a result of high growth rates during the catching-up period, is likely to be harmful for real growth and employment.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark|
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francesco Caselli & Silvana Tenreyro, 2006.
"Is Poland the Next Spain?,"
NBER Chapters,in: NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2004, pages 459-533
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Caselli & Silvana Tenreyro, 2004. "Is Poland the next Spain?," Communities and Banking, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Francesco Caselli & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "Is Poland the next Spain?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3564, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Francesco Caselli & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "Is Poland the Next Spain?," NBER Working Papers 11045, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Caselli & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "Is Poland the Next Spain?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0668, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Caselli, Francesco & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2005. "Is Poland the Next Spain?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4877, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Russell, Bill, 2005. "Inflation and measures of the markup," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 289-306, June.
- Anindya Banerjee & Bill Russell, 2002. "Inflation and Measures of the Markup," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 130, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Henrik Hansen & Søren Johansen, 1999. "Some tests for parameter constancy in cointegrated VAR-models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(2), pages 306-333.
- Bela Balassa, 1964. "The Purchasing-Power Parity Doctrine: A Reappraisal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 584-584. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kud:kuiedp:0529. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.