Migration and the evolution of conventions
This paper analyzes an evolutionary model where agents are locally matched to playa coordination game and can adjust both their strategy and location. Their decisions are subject to friction, so that an agent who migrates to a different location may be unable to adjust her strategy optimally to the new environment. A condition on off-equilibrium payoffs introduced by Aumann (1993) plays a major role in our characterization (for general coordination games) of the long-run outcomes. For the particular 2 x 2 case, this condition (which is unrelated to risk dominance) implies that the possibility of medium term simultaneous co-existence of conventions at different locations depends on whether the game is of "pure" coordination (where co-existence is always possible) or of the stag'-hunt type (where it is not). When we introduce noise (Le. mutations) into the model, this distinction continuous to play a crucial role in the selection of the long'-run equilibria: for large friction, both equilibria are stochastically stable in the former case, whereas only the efficient one is so in the latter.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1996|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Guardia Civil, 22, Esc 2a, 1o, E-46020 VALENCIA|
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ellison, Glenn, 1993.
"Learning, Local Interaction, and Coordination,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(5), pages 1047-1071, September.
- Glen Ellison, 2010. "Learning, Local Interaction, and Coordination," Levine's Working Paper Archive 391, David K. Levine.
- Dieckmann, Tone, 1999. "The evolution of conventions with mobile players," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 93-111, January.
- Young, H Peyton, 1993. "The Evolution of Conventions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 57-84, January.
- Farrell, Joseph, 1988. "Communication, coordination and Nash equilibrium," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 209-214.
- Binmore, Ken & Samuelson, Larry, 1997. "Muddling Through: Noisy Equilibrium Selection," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 235-265, June.
- Oechssler, Jorg, 1997. "Decentralization and the coordination problem," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 119-135, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:1996-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.