Empirical Tests of Impacts of Rationing: The Case of Poland in Transition
This study tests hypothesis derived from the theory of rationing using data for Polish households during the transition. The demand system consists of six commodity groups, and virtual prices are derived for the rationed goods. The empirical results are consistent with the theory: larger own-price elasticities for non-rationed goods after the reform, increased complementarity and decreased substitutability. The results also show that households did not suffer declines in welfare that were as large as officially reported.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Economic Systems, March 2004, vol. 28 no. 1, pp. 79-99|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Mundlak, Yair & Larson, Donald F, 1992. "On the Transmission of World Agricultural Prices," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(3), pages 399-422, September.
- Adriaan Kalwij & Rob Alessie & Peter Fontein, 1998.
"Household commodity demand and demographics in the Netherlands: A microeconometric analysis,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 551-577.
- Kalwij, A.S. & Alessie, R.J.M. & Fontein, P.F., 1998. "Household commodity demand and demographics in The Netherlands : A microeconometric analysis," Other publications TiSEM 414b2144-b49e-42f9-8081-e, School of Economics and Management.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Sonya Kostova Huffman & Stanley R. Johnson, 2004.
"Impacts of Economic Reform in Poland: Incidence and Welfare Changes Within a Consistent Framework,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(2), pages 626-636, May.
- Huffman, Sonya K. & Johnson, Stanley R., 2004. "Impacts of Economic Reform in Poland: Incidence and Welfare Changes Within a Consistent Framework," Staff General Research Papers 11158, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521296762 is not listed on IDEAS
- Antoni Chawluk & Rod Cross, 1994. "The real balance effects of price liberalization in Poland 1," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 2(4), pages 487-499, December.
- Wang, Zhi & Chern, Wen S., 1992. "Effects of rationing on the consumption behavior of Chinese urban households during 1981-1987," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-26, March.
- Podkaminer, Leon, 1988. "Disequilibrium in Poland's consumer markets: Further evidence on intermarket spillovers," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 43-60, March.
- Podkaminer, Leon, 1982. "Estimates of the Disequilibria in Poland's Consumer Markets, 1965-1978," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 64(3), pages 423-31, August.
- Kim, Byung-Yeon, 1999. "The Income, Savings, and Monetary Overhang of Soviet Households," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 644-668, December.
- Subramanian, S. & Deaton, A., 1994.
"The Demand for Food and Calories,"
175, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521438827 is not listed on IDEAS
- Neary, J.P & Roberts, K.W.S, 1978.
"The Theory of Household Behaviour under Rationing,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
132, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Blundell, Richard & Pashardes, Panos & Weber, Guglielmo, 1993. "What Do We Learn About Consumer Demand Patterns from Micro Data?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 570-97, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521433297 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:11162. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.