Empirical Tests of Impacts of Rationing: The Case of Poland in Transition
This study tests the theory of rationing, examining changes in household consumption behavior during the transition to a market economy in Poland, 1987-92. Using pre-reform data from the Polish Household Budget Survey, Huffman and Johnson develop a model of consumption under rationing and derive virtual prices for food and housing. A pre-reform Almost Ideal Demand System (AIDS) model with rationing is then used to estimate plausible values for price and income elasticities. Comparing pre-reform and post-reform (without rationing) AIDS models shows that own-price elasticities for nonrational goods are larger after the reform, and there is increased complementarity and decreased substitutability for nonrationed goods. This comparison also shows a 75 percent decline in real household welfare over the transition to a market economy.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 578 Heady Hall, Ames, Iowa 50011-1070|
Phone: (515) 294-1183
Fax: (515) 294-6336
Web page: http://www.card.iastate.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Podkaminer, Leon, 1988. "Disequilibrium in Poland's consumer markets: Further evidence on intermarket spillovers," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 43-60, March.
- Sonya Kostova Huffman & Stanley R. Johnson, 2004.
"Impacts of Economic Reform in Poland: Incidence and Welfare Changes Within a Consistent Framework,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(2), pages 626-636, May.
- Huffman, Sonya K. & Johnson, Stanley R., 2004. "Impacts of Economic Reform in Poland: Incidence and Welfare Changes Within a Consistent Framework," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11158, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Blundell, Richard & Pashardes, Panos & Weber, Guglielmo, 1993. "What Do We Learn About Consumer Demand Patterns from Micro Data?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 570-97, June.
- Adriaan Kalwij & Rob Alessie & Peter Fontein, 1998.
"Household commodity demand and demographics in the Netherlands: A microeconometric analysis,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 11(4), pages 551-577.
- Kalwij, A.S. & Alessie, R.J.M. & Fontein, P.F., 1998. "Household commodity demand and demographics in The Netherlands : A microeconometric analysis," Other publications TiSEM 414b2144-b49e-42f9-8081-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Antoni Chawluk & Rod Cross, 1994. "The real balance effects of price liberalization in Poland 1," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 2(4), pages 487-499, December.
- Neary, J. P. & Roberts, K. W. S., 1980.
"The theory of household behaviour under rationing,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 25-42, January.
- Neary, J.P & Roberts, K.W.S, 1978. "The Theory of Household Behaviour under Rationing," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 132, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Atkinson,Anthony Barnes & Micklewright,John, 1992.
"Economic Transformation in Eastern Europe and the Distribution of Income,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521438827, November.
- Atkinson,Anthony Barnes & Micklewright,John, 1992. "Economic Transformation in Eastern Europe and the Distribution of Income," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521433297, November.
- Mundlak, Yair & Larson, Donald F, 1992. "On the Transmission of World Agricultural Prices," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(3), pages 399-422, September.
- Subramanian, S. & Deaton, A., 1994.
"The Demand for Food and Calories,"
175, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Podkaminer, Leon, 1982. "Estimates of the Disequilibria in Poland's Consumer Markets, 1965-1978," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 64(3), pages 423-31, August.
- Kim, Byung-Yeon, 1999. "The Income, Savings, and Monetary Overhang of Soviet Households," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 644-668, December.
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, November.
- Wang, Zhi & Chern, Wen S., 1992. "Effects of rationing on the consumption behavior of Chinese urban households during 1981-1987," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-26, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ias:cpaper:00-wp237. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.