Endogenous Collateral: Arbitrage and Equilibrium without Bounded Short Sales
We study the implications of the absence of arbitrage in an two period economy where default is allowed and assets are secured by collateral choosen by the borrowers. We show that non arbitrage sale prices of assets are submartingales, whereas non arbitrage purchase prices of the derivatives (secured by the pool of collaterals) are supermartingales. We use these non arbitrage conditions to establish existence of equilibrium, without imposing bounds on short sales. The nonconvexity of the budget set is overcome by considering a continuum of agents. Our results are particularly relevant for the collateralized mortgage obligations(CMO) markets.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Oct 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua Quatá 300, São Paulo, SP 04546-042|
Web page: http://www.insper.edu.br/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aloisio Araújo & Jaime Orrillo & Mario R. Páscoa, 2000. "Equilibrium with Default and Endogenous Collateral," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 1-21.
- A. Araujo & M. R. Páscoa & P. K. Monteiro, 1997.
"Incomplete markets, continuum of states and default,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 11(1), pages 205-213.
- Araujo, A. & Monteiro, P. K. & Páscoa, M.R., "undated". "Incomplete markets, continuum of states and default," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1297, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- John Geanakoplos & Pradeep Dubey, 1989. "Liquidity and Bankruptcy with Incomplete Markets: Pure Exchange," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 900, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Magill, Michael & Shafer, Wayne, 1991. "Incomplete markets," Handbook of Mathematical Economics,in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 30, pages 1523-1614 Elsevier.
- Fajardo, Jose, 2005. "A note on arbitrage and exogenous collateral," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 336-341, November.
- Fajardo, J., 2004. "A Note On Arbitrage and Exogenus Collateral," Finance Lab Working Papers flwp_62, Finance Lab, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Aloisio Araujo & Paulo K. Monteiro & M´rio Rui P´ascoa, 1996. "Infinite Horizon Incomplete Markets With A Continuum Of States," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(2), pages 119-132.
- Elyégs Jouini & Hédi Kallal, 1995. "Arbitrage In Securities Markets With Short-Sales Constraints," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(3), pages 197-232.
- Duffie, Darrell & Shafer, Wayne, 1985. "Equilibrium in incomplete markets: I : A basic model of generic existence," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 285-300, June.
- Donald A. Walker (ed.), 2000. "Equilibrium," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, volume 0, number 1585. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ibm:finlab:flwp_52. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Naercio Menezes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.