Transport Costs and Rural Development
Can rural development be assisted by improving accessibility? This paper describes how transport costs condition the choices by firms and people to concentrate in cities or to spread out across agricultural hinterlands and considers the impacts of zero and relatively high agricultural transport costs.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (515) 294-1183
Fax: (515) 294-6336
Web page: http://www.card.iastate.edu/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kilkenny, Maureen, 1993. "Rural vs. Urban Effects of Terminating Farm Subsidies," Staff General Research Papers 11121, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Peter Nijkamp & Roberta Capello, 1996. "Telecommunications technologies and regional development: theoretical considerations and empirical evidence," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 7-30.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- Uwe Walz, 1996. "Long-run effects of regional policy in an economic union," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 165-183.
- JASKOLD GABSZEWICZ, Jean & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "Spatial competition and the location of firms," CORE Discussion Papers RP -713, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gordon F. Mulligan, 1984. "Agglomeration and Central Place Theory: A Review of the Literature," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 9(1), pages 1-42, September.
- Henderson I. Vernon, 1994. "Where Does an Industry Locate?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 83-104, January.
- Ilan Salomon, 1996. "Telecommunications, cities and technological opportunism," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 75-90.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ias:cpaper:95-wp133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.