Transport Costs and Rural Development
Can rural development be assisted by improving accessibility? This paper describes how transport costs condition the choices by firms and people to concentrate in cities or to spread out across agricultural hinterlands and considers the impacts of zero and relatively high agricultural transport costs.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1995|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 578 Heady Hall, Ames, Iowa 50011-1070|
Phone: (515) 294-1183
Fax: (515) 294-6336
Web page: http://www.card.iastate.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Nijkamp & Roberta Capello, 1996. "Telecommunications technologies and regional development: theoretical considerations and empirical evidence," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 30(1), pages 7-30.
- Henderson I. Vernon, 1994. "Where Does an Industry Locate?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 83-104, January.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kilkenny, Maureen, 1993. "Rural vs. Urban Effects of Terminating Farm Subsidies," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11121, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-713 is not listed on IDEAS
- Uwe Walz, 1996. "Long-run effects of regional policy in an economic union," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 30(2), pages 165-183.
- Gordon F. Mulligan, 1984. "Agglomeration and Central Place Theory: A Review of the Literature," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 9(1), pages 1-42, September.
- Ilan Salomon, 1996. "Telecommunications, cities and technological opportunism," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 30(1), pages 75-90.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ias:cpaper:95-wp133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.