Création de valeur, 10 ans après..
Value based management was considered as the major managerial innovation of the nineties: managers were to supposed to be turned into owners through redesigned compensation packages including value creation metrics such as EVA and the like, increased influence of shareholders on firms' strategies... Ten years later it is about time to come back. This article indeed revisits a study made at the time by the authors on the implementation of VBM and analyzes the evolutions observed since then. It identifies the main achievements such as the better management of assets and cost of capital, and the difficulties encountered in the alignment of managers' compensation on market value. It discusses the current trend towards more operational performance indicators in that respect.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00440010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brian J. Hall & Jeffrey B. Liebman, 1998.
"Are CEOs Really Paid Like Bureaucrats?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 113(3), pages 653-691.
- Dial, Jay & Murphy, Kevin J., 1995. "Incentives, downsizing, and value creation at General Dynamics," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 261-314, March.
- Jensen, M.C. & Murphy, K.J., 1988.
"Performance Pay And Top Management Incentives,"
88-04, Rochester, Business - Managerial Economics Research Center.
- Joel M. Stern & G. Bennett Stewart & Donald H. Chew, 1995. "The Eva® Financial Management System," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 8(2), pages 32-46.
- Stephen Riceman & Steven Cahan & Mohan Lal, 2002. "Do managers perform better under EVA bonus schemes?," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 537-572.
- Stephen F. O'Byrne & S. David Young, 2006. "Incentives and Investor Expectations," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 18(2), pages 98-105.
- Gneezy, Uri & Rustichini, Aldo, 2000.
"A Fine is a Price,"
The Journal of Legal Studies,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(1), pages 1-17, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00440010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.