On multiply monotone distributions, continuous or discrete, with applications
This paper is concerned with the class of distributions, continuous or discrete, whose shape is monotone of finite integer order t. A characterization is presented as a mixture of a minimum of t independent uniform distributions. Then, a comparison of t-monotone distributions is made using the s-convex stochastic orders. A link is also pointed out with an alternative approach to monotonicity based on a stationary-excess operator. Finally, the monotonicity property is exploited to reinforce the classical Markov and Lyapunov inequalities. The results are illustrated by several applications to insurance.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Applied Probability, Applied Probability Trust, 2013, 50 (3), pp.603-907|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00750562v2|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Denuit, Michel & Vylder, Etienne De & Lefevre, Claude, 1999. "Extremal generators and extremal distributions for the continuous s-convex stochastic orderings," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 201-217, May.
- Claude Lefèvre & Stéphane Loisel, 2010.
"Stationary-excess operator and convex stochastic orders,"
- Lefèvre, Claude & Loisel, Stéphane, 2010. "Stationary-excess operator and convex stochastic orders," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 64-75, August.
- Denuit, Michel & Lefevre, Claude, 1997. "Some new classes of stochastic order relations among arithmetic random variables, with applications in actuarial sciences," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 197-213, October.
- Denuit, Michel & Lefevre, Claude & Mesfioui, M'hamed, 1999. "On s-convex stochastic extrema for arithmetic risks," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 143-155, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00750562. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.