Shareholder Empowerment and Bank Bailouts
We investigate the hypothesis that shareholder empowerment may have led to more bank bailouts during the recent financial crisis. To test this hypothesis, we propose a management insulation index based on banks’ charter and by-law provisions and on the provisions of the applicable state corporate law that make it difficult for shareholders to oust a firm’s management. Our index is both conceptually and practically different from the existing alternatives. In a sample of US commercial banks, we show that management insulation is a good predictor of bank bailouts: banks in which managers are fully insulated from shareholders are roughly 19 to 26 percentage points less likely to be bailed out. We also find that banks in which the management insulation index was reduced between 2003 and 2006 are more likely to be bailed out. We discuss alternative interpretations of the evidence. The evidence is mostly consistent with the hypothesis that banks in which shareholders were more empowered performed poorly during the crisis.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Margaret Bray & Charles Goodhart, 2008. "'You Might As Well Be Hung For A Sheep As A Lamb': The Loss Function Of An Agent," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 76(3), pages 279-300, 06.
- Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2000.
"Does Deposit Insurance Increase Banking System Stability? An Empirical Investigation,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1751, Econometric Society.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 2002. "Does deposit insurance increase banking system stability? An empirical investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1373-1406, October.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 1999. "Does deposit insurance increase banking system stability ? An empirical investigation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2247, The World Bank.
- Brian Cadman & Mary Ellen Carter & Luann J. Lynch, 2012. "Executive Compensation Restrictions: Do They Restrict Firms’ Willingness to Participate in TARP?," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(7-8), pages 997-1027, 09.
- Edward J. Riedl & George Serafeim, 2011. "Information Risk and Fair Values: An Examination of Equity Betas," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 1083-1122, 09.
- Paul Gompers & Joy Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2003.
"Corporate Governance And Equity Prices,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 118(1), pages 107-155, February.
- Paul A. Gompers & Joy L. Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2001. "Corporate Governance and Equity Prices," NBER Working Papers 8449, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul A. Gompers & Joy L. Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2002. "Corporate Governance and Equity Prices," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-32, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2008.
"Bank Governance, Regulation, and Risk Taking,"
NBER Working Papers
14113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucian Bebchuk & Alma Cohen & Allen Ferrell, 2009. "What Matters in Corporate Governance?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(2), pages 783-827, February.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Lucian Arye Bebchuk & John C. Coates IV & Guhan Subramanian, 2002. "The Powerful Antitakeover Force of Staggered Boards: Theory, Evidence and Policy," NBER Working Papers 8974, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dushyantkumar Vyas, 2011. "The Timeliness of Accounting Write‐Downs by U.S. Financial Institutions During the Financial Crisis of 2007–2008," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 823-860, 06.
- Wilson, Linus & Wu, Yan Wendy, 2012. "Escaping TARP," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 32-42.
- Henry G. Manne, 1965. "Mergers and the Market for Corporate Control," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 110.
- Beltratti, Andrea & Stulz, Rene M., 2010.
"The Credit Crisis around the Globe: Why Did Some Banks Perform Better?,"
Working Paper Series
2010-5, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Beltratti, Andrea & Stulz, René M., 2012. "The credit crisis around the globe: Why did some banks perform better?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 1-17.
- Lucian Bebchuk, .
"The Costs of Entrenched Boards,"
American Law & Economics Association Annual Meetings
1091, American Law & Economics Association.
- Bates, Thomas W. & Becher, David A. & Lemmon, Michael L., 2008. "Board classification and managerial entrenchment: Evidence from the market for corporate control," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 656-677, March.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Faleye, Olubunmi, 2007. "Classified boards, firm value, and managerial entrenchment," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 501-529, February.
- Henry G. Manne, 1965. "Mergers and the Market for Corporate Control," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 351.
- Ronald W. Masulis & Cong Wang & Fei Xie, 2007. "Corporate Governance and Acquirer Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(4), pages 1851-1889, 08.
- Renée Birgit Adams, 2012. "Governance and the Financial Crisis," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 12(1), pages 7-38, 03.
- Ulrike Malmendier & Geoffrey Tate, 2004.
"CEO Overconfidence and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
10807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dinara Bayazitova & Anil Shivdasani, 2012. "Assessing TARP," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 25(2), pages 377-407.
- Grant Kirkpatrick, 2009. "The corporate governance lessons from the financial crisis," OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2009(1), pages 61-87.
- Erkens, David H. & Hung, Mingyi & Matos, Pedro, 2012. "Corporate governance in the 2007–2008 financial crisis: Evidence from financial institutions worldwide," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 389-411.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fmg:fmgdps:dp714. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.