Life expectancy and endogenous growth
We consider an overlapping generations model with uncertain lifetime and endogenous growth. Individuals have to choose the length of time devoted to schooling before starting to work. We show that it depends positively on life expectancy but that the positive effect of a longer life on growth could be offset by a decrease in the participation rate. Dynamics are characterized by a delay differential equation and human capital converges with oscillations to a balanced growth path.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Azariadis, Costas & Drazen, Allan, 1990. "Threshold Externalities in Economic Development," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(2), pages 501-26, May.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Germain, Marc & Licandro, Omar, 1997.
"Replacement Echoes in the Vintage Capital Growth Model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 333-348, June.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Marc Germain & Omar Licandro, . "Replacement echoes in the vintage capital growth model," Working Papers 96-16, FEDEA.
- Boucekkine, R. & Germain, M. & Licandro, O., . "Replacement echoes in the vintage capital growth model," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1275, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Robert W. Fogel, 1994.
"Economic Growth, Population Theory, and Physiology: The Bearing of Long-Term Processes on the Making of Economic Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
4638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fogel, Robert W, 1994. "Economic Growth, Population Theory, and Physiology: The Bearing of Long-Term Processes on the Making of Economic Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 369-95, June.
- Fogel, Robert W., 1993. "Economic Growth, Population Theory, and Physiology: The Bearing of Long-Term Processes on the Making of Economic Policy," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 1993-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Benhabib, Jess & Rustichini, Aldo, 1990.
"Vintage Capital, Investment And Growth,"
90-22, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1992.
"Fiscal Policy in an Endogenous Growth Model,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(4), pages 1243-59, November.
- Ehrlich, Isaac & Lui, Francis T, 1991. "Intergenerational Trade, Longevity, and Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 1029-59, October.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- R. Boucekkine & M. Germain & O. Licandro & A. Magnus, .
"Creative destruction, investment volatility, and the average age of capital,"
- Boucekkine, Raouf, et al, 1998. " Creative Destruction, Investment Volatility, and the Average Age of Capital," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 361-84, December.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & GERMAIN, Marc & LICANDRO, Omar & MAGNUS, Alphonse, . "Creative destruction, investment volatility, and the average age of capital," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1376, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Raouf Boucekkine & Fernando del Río & Omar Licandro, . "Replacement investment, endogenous fluctuations and the dynamics of job creation and job destruction," Working Papers 97-13, FEDEA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fda:fdaddt:9723. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.