Debt and incomplete financial markets: a case for nominal GDP targeting
Financial markets are incomplete, thus for many agents borrowing is possible only by accepting a financial contract that specifies a fixed repayment. However, the future income that will repay this debt is uncertain, so risk can be inefficiently distributed. This paper argues that a monetary policy of nominal GDP targeting can improve the functioning of incomplete financial markets when incomplete contracts are written in terms of money. By insulating agents' nominal incomes from aggregate real shocks, this policy effectively completes the market by stabilizing the ratio of debt to income. The paper argues that the objective of nominal GDP should receive substantial weight even in an environment with other frictions that have been used to justify a policy of strict inflation targeting.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meade, James E., 1977.
"The Meaning of "Internal Balance","
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
1977-2, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Garriga, Carlos & Kydland, Finn E. & Šustek, Roman, 2013.
"Mortgages and monetary policy,"
2013-37, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Carlos Garriga & Finn E. Kydland & Roman Sustek, 2013. "Mortgages and Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 19744, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlos Garriga & Finn E. Kydland & Roman Šustek, 2013. "Mortgages and Monetary Policy," Discussion Papers 1306, Centre for Macroeconomics (CFM).
- Carlos Garriga & Finn E. Kydland & Roman Šustek, 2013. "Mortgages and monetary policy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 58248, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Sheedy, Kevin D., 2014.
"Debt and Incomplete Financial Markets: A Case for Nominal GDP Targeting,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9843, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kevin D. Sheedy, 2014. "Debt and Incomplete Financial Markets: A Case for Nominal GDP Targeting," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 48(1 (Spring), pages 301-373.
- Kevin D. Sheedy, 2013. "Debt and Incomplete Financial Markets: A Case for Nominal GDP Targeting," CEP Discussion Papers dp1209, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Kevin D. Sheedy, 2013. "Debt and incomplete financial markets: a case for nominal GDP targeting," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 51545, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Cochrane, John H, 1991. "A Simple Test of Consumption Insurance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 957-76, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehl:lserod:51545. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (LSERO Manager)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.