Deep Habits in the New Keynesian Phillips Curve
We derive and estimate a New Keynesian Phillips curve (NKPC) in a model where consumers are assumed to have deep habits. Habits are deep in the sense that they apply to individual consumption goods instead of aggregate consumption. This alters the NKPC in a fundamental manner as it introduces expected and contemporaneous consumption growth as well as the expected marginal value of future demand as additional driving forces for inflation dynamics. We construct the driving process in the deep habits NKPC by using the model’s optimality conditions to impute time series for unobservable variables. The resulting series is considerably more volatile than unit labor cost. General Methods of Moments (GMM) estimation of the NKPC shows an improved fit and a much lower degree of indexation than in the standard NKPC. Our analysis also reveals that the crucial parameters for the performance of the deep habit NKPC are the habit parameter and the substitution elasticity between differentiated products. The results are broadly robust to alternative specifications.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: http://cama.crawford.anu.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morten O. Ravn & Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martín Uribe & Lenno Uuskula, 2008.
"Deep Habits and the Dynamic Effects of Monetary Policy Shocks,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2008/40, European University Institute.
- Ravn, Morten O. & Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie & Uribe, Martín & Uuskula, Lenno, 2010. "Deep habits and the dynamic effects of monetary policy shocks," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 236-258, June.
- Ravn, Morten O & Schmitt-Grohé, Stephanie & Uribe, Martín & Uusküla, Lenno, 2009. "Deep Habits and the Dynamic Effects of Monetary Policy Shocks," CEPR Discussion Papers 7128, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas A. Lubik & Wing Leong Teo, 2010.
"Inventories, Inflation Dynamics and the New Keynesian Phillips Curve,"
CAMA Working Papers
2010-13, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Lubik, Thomas A. & Teo, Wing Leong, 2012. "Inventories, inflation dynamics and the New Keynesian Phillips curve," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 327-346.
- Thomas A. Lubik & Wing Leong Teo, 2010. "Inventories, inflation dynamics, and the New Keynesian Phillips curve," Working Paper 10-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Thomas A Lubik & Wing Teong Teo, . "Inventories, Inflation Dynamics and the New Keynesian Phillips Curve," Discussion Papers 10/02, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Guerrieri, Luca & Gust, Christopher & López-Salido, J David, 2009.
"International Competition and Inflation: A New Keynesian Perspective,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7561, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luca Guerrieri & Christopher Gust & J. David L�pez-Salido, 2010. "International Competition and Inflation: A New Keynesian Perspective," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(4), pages 247-80, October.
- Luca Guerrieri & Christopher Gust & David López-Salido, 2008. "International competition and inflation: a New Keynesian perspective," International Finance Discussion Papers 918, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Michael U. Krause & David J. Lopez-Salido & Thomas Lubik, 2007.
"Do Search Frictions Matter for Inflation Dynamics?,"
Kiel Working Papers
1353, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Krause, Michael U. & Lopez-Salido, David J. & Lubik, Thomas A., 2008. "Do search frictions matter for inflation dynamics?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(8), pages 1464-1479, November.
- Morten Ravn & Stephanie Schmitt-Grohé & Mart�n Uribe, 2006.
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 73(1), pages 195-218.
- Ravn, Morten O & Schmitt-Grohé, Stephanie & Uribe, Martín, 2004. "Deep Habits," CEPR Discussion Papers 4269, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Morten Ravn & Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2004. "Deep Habits," NBER Working Papers 10261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Morten O. Ravn & Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe, 2004. "Deep Habits," 2004 Meeting Papers 208, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- James M. Nason & Gregor W. Smith, 2008. "The New Keynesian Phillips curve : lessons from single-equation econometric estimation," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Fall, pages 361-395.
- Thomas A. Lubik & Wing Leong Teo, 2010. "Inventories, Inflation Dynamics and the New Keynesian Phillips Curve," CAMA Working Papers 2010-13, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:een:camaaa:2012-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cama Admin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.