Power Method Tâtonnements for Cobb-Douglas Economies
We consider an economy with consumers maximizing Cobb-Douglas utilities from the algorithmic perspective. It is known that in this case nding equilibrium prices reduces to the eigenvalue problem for a particularly structured stochastic matrix. We show that the power method for solving this eigenvalue problem can be naturally interpreted as a t^atonnement executed by an auctioneer. Its linear rate of convergence is established under the reasonable assumption of pairwise connectivity w.r.t. commodities within submarkets. We show that the pairwise connectivity remains valid under suciently small perturbations of consumers' tastes and endowments. Moreover, the property of pairwise connectivity holds for almost all Cobb-Douglas economies.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2017|
|Publication status:||Published by:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. F.D., Roosevelt, 39, 1050 Bruxelles|
Phone: (32 2) 650 30 75
Fax: (32 2) 650 44 75
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Marc Bonnisseau & Michael Florig & Alejandro Jofré, 2001. "Continuity and Uniqueness of Equilibria for Linear Exchange Economies," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00265684, HAL.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1970.
"Economies with a Finite Set of Equilibria,"
Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 387-392, May.
- DEBREU, Gérard, "undated". "Economies with a finite set of equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers RP 67, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bonnisseau, Jean-Marc, 2003. "Regular economies with non-ordered preferences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 153-174, June.
- Jean-Marc Bonnisseau, 2003. "Regular economies with non-ordered preferences," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00187218, HAL.
- Du, Ye & Lehrer, Ehud & Pauzner, Ady, 2015. "Competitive economy as a ranking device over networks," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 1-13.
- Herbert E. Scarf, 1967. "The Approximation of Fixed Points of a Continuous Mapping," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 216R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Eaves, B. Curtis, 1976. "A finite algorithm for the linear exchange model," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 197-203, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eca:wpaper:2013/248466. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.