Engaging Small and Medium Enterprises in Production Networks : Firm-level Analysis of Five ASEAN Economies
ï»¿The Association of Southeast Asian Nations JEL Classification : F10, F23, O14 (ASEAN) small and medium enterprises (SMEs) are under scrutiny for their engagement in production networks following recent emphasis on increasing intra-regional trade, rebalancing, and inclusive growth in Asia. Using a data set covering 5,900 firms in five ASEAN economies at different stages of development, this paper analyses the participation of SMEs in production networks, determinants, and policy implications. It finds that although large firms dominate production network engagement in ASEAN economies, there are signs that SMEs have modestly increased their participation since the late-1990s. This is linked to firm-specific factors (e.g., firm size, foreign ownership, skills, technological capabilities, and access to credit) as well as a supportive business environment. Tackling residual supply-side and policy constraints can further the participation of ASEAN SMEs in production networks.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2011.
"Production Networks and Trade Patterns in East Asia: Regionalization or Globalization?,"
Asian Economic Papers,
MIT Press, vol. 10(1), pages 65-95, January.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra, 2010. "Production Networks and Trade Patterns in East Asia: Regionalization or Globalization?," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 56, Asian Development Bank.
- Iammarino, Simona & Padilla-Pérez, Ramon & von Tunzelmann, Nick, 2008. "Technological Capabilities and Global-Local Interactions: The Electronics Industry in Two Mexican Regions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1980-2003, October.
- Hank Lim & Fukunari Kimura, 2010.
"The Internationalization of Small and Medium Enterprises in Regional and Global Value Chains,"
- Hank Lim & Fukunari Kimura, 2010. "The Internationalization of Small and Medium Enterprises in Regional and Global Value Chains," Microeconomics Working Papers 22812, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Lim, Hank & Kimura, Fukunari, 2010. "The Internationalization of Small and Medium Enterprises in Regional and Global Value Chains," ADBI Working Papers 231, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Charles HARVIE & Dionisius NARJOKO & Sothea OUM, 2010. "Firm Characteristic Determinants of SME Participation in Production Networks," Working Papers DP-2010-11, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1992. "Technological capabilities and industrialization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 165-186, February.
- Sanjaya Lall, 1986. "Technological development and export performance in LDCs: Leading engineering and chemical firms in India," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 122(1), pages 80-92, March.
- Analia Erbes & Veronica Robert & Gabriel Yoguel, 2010. "Capacities, innovation and feedbacks in production networks in Argentina," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(8), pages 719-741.
- Yeaple, Stephen & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2004.
"Export versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
3229098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Heinz Hollenstein, 2005. "Determinants of International Activities: Are SMEs Different?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(5), pages 431-450, 06.
- Ganeshan Wignaraja, 2002.
"Firm Size, Technological Capabilities and Market-oriented Policies in Mauritius,"
Oxford Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 87-104.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2001. "Firm Size, Technological Capabilities and Market-Oriented Policies in Mauritius," UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series 1, United Nations University - INTECH.
- Nguyen Hiep & Shoji Nishijima, 2009. "Export Intensity and Impacts from Firm Characteristics, Domestic Competition and Domestic Constraints in Vietnam: A Micro-data Analysis," Discussion Paper Series 238, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- repec:dgr:tuecis:0201 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kimura, Fukunari & Ando, Mitsuyo, 2005. "Two-dimensional fragmentation in East Asia: Conceptual framework and empirics," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 317-348.
- Wakelin, Katharine, 1998. "Innovation and export behaviour at the firm level," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(7-8), pages 829-841, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:tradew:23316. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.