Why Do Firms Switch Their Main Bank?: Theory and Evidence from Ukraine
We examine why firms change their main bank and how this affects loans, interest payments and firm performance after switching. Using unique firm-bank matched Ukrainian data, the treatment effect estimates suggest that more transparent and riskier companies are more likely to switch their main bank. Importantly, main bank power, measured by equity holdings, appears to be one of the main drivers of firm switching behavior. Furthermore, we find that firms have lower performance after changing their main bank as they have to contend with higher interest payments.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ernst-Ludwig VON THADDEN, 1998.
"Asymmetric Information, Bank Lending and Implicit Contracts : The Winner's Curse,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
9809, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- von Thadden, Ernst-Ludwig, 2004. "Asymmetric information, bank lending and implicit contracts: the winner's curse," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 11-23, March.
- João A. C. Santos & Luísa A. Farinha, 2000.
"Switching from single to multiple bank lending relationships: determinants and implications,"
BIS Working Papers
83, Bank for International Settlements.
- Farinha, Luisa A. & Santos, Joao A. C., 2002. "Switching from Single to Multiple Bank Lending Relationships: Determinants and Implications," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 124-151, April.
- Nijman, T.E. & Verbeek, M.J.C.M., 1992. "Testing for selectivity in panel data models," Other publications TiSEM 7ec34a6c-1d84-4052-971c-d, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- David E. Weinstein & Yishay Yafeh, 1998. "On the Costs of a Bank-Centered Financial System: Evidence from the Changing Main Bank Relations in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(2), pages 635-672, 04.
- Andreas Stephan & Andriy Tsapin, 2008.
"Persistence and Determinants of Firm Profit in Emerging Markets,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 54(4), pages 231-254.
- Stephan, Andreas & Tsapin , Andriy, 2008. "Persistence and Determinants of Firm Profit in Emerging Markets," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 151, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Andreas Stephan & Andriy Tsapin, 2008. "Persistence and Determinants of Firm Profit in Emerging Markets," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 848, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Hans Degryse & Steven Ongena, 2001.
"Bank Relationships and Firm Profitability,"
Financial Management Association, vol. 30(1), Spring.
- Delcoure, Natalya, 2007. "The determinants of capital structure in transitional economies," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 400-415.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1990.
"The role of banks in reducing the costs of financial distress in Japan,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 67-88, September.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1990. "The Role of Banks in Reducing the Costs of Financial Distress in Japan," NBER Working Papers 3435, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andreas Stephan & Oleksandr Talavera & Andriy Tsapin, 2008.
"Corporate Debt Maturity Choice in Transition Financial Markets,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
784, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Stephan, Andreas & Talavera, Oleksandr & Tsapin, Andriy, 2008. "Corporate Debt Maturity Choice in Transition Financial Markets," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 125, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Steven A. Sharpe, 1989.
"Asymmetric information, bank lending, and implicit contracts: a stylized model of customer relationships,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
70, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sharpe, Steven A, 1990. " Asymmetric Information, Bank Lending, and Implicit Contracts: A Stylized Model of Customer Relationships," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1069-87, September.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1998.
"Which Capitalism? Lessons Form The East Asian Crisis,"
Journal of Applied Corporate Finance,
Morgan Stanley, vol. 11(3), pages 40-48.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1998. "Which Capitalism? Lessons from the East Asian Crisis," CRSP working papers 486, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Enrica Detragiache & Paolo Garella & Luigi Guiso, 2000. "Multiple versus Single Banking Relationships: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1133-1161, 06.
- Ajit Singh, 2003.
"Competition, corporate governance and selection in emerging markets,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(491), pages F443-F464, November.
- Ajit Singh, 2002. "Competition, corporate governance and selection in emerging markets," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp247, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Shen, Chung-Hua & Huang, Ai-Hua, 2003. "Are performances of banks and firms linked? And if so, why?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 397-414, June.
- Hubbard, R Glenn & Kuttner, Kenneth N & Palia, Darius N, 2002.
"Are There Bank Effects in Borrowers' Costs of Funds? Evidence from a Matched Sample of Borrowers and Banks,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(4), pages 559-81, October.
- R. Glenn Hubbard & Kenneth N. Kuttner & Darius N. Palia, 1999. "Are there "bank effects" in borrowers' costs of funds? Evidence from a matched sample of borrowers and banks," Staff Reports 78, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Vesala, Timo, 2007. "Switching costs and relationship profits in bank lending," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 477-493, February.
- Agarwal, Rajshree & Ann Elston, Julie, 2001. "Bank-firm relationships, financing and firm performance in Germany," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 225-232, August.
- Boot, Arnoud W. A., 2000. "Relationship Banking: What Do We Know?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 7-25, January.
- Kim, Moshe & Kliger, Doron & Vale, Bent, 2003. "Estimating switching costs: the case of banking," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 25-56, January.
- Golodniuk, Inna, 2006. "Evidence on the bank-lending channel in Ukraine," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 180-199, June.
- Patrick Bolton & Xavier Freixas, 2000. "Equity, Bonds, and Bank Debt: Capital Structure and Financial Market Equilibrium under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(2), pages 324-351, April.
- Hernán Ortiz-Molina & María Penas, 2008.
"Lending to small businesses: the role of loan maturity in addressing information problems,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 361-383, April.
- Ortiz-Molina, H. & Penas, M.F., 2004. "Lending to Small Businesses : The Role of Loan Maturity in Adressing Information Problems," Discussion Paper 2004-99, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Sheard, Paul, 1989. "The main bank system and corporate monitoring and control in Japan," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 399-422, May.
- Morck, Randall & Nakamura, Masao & Shivdasani, Anil, 2000. "Banks, Ownership Structure, and Firm Value in Japan," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(4), pages 539-67, October.
- Vasso Ioannidou & Steven Ongena, 2010. ""Time for a Change": Loan Conditions and Bank Behavior when Firms Switch Banks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 65(5), pages 1847-1877, October.
- D'Auria, Claudio & Foglia, Antonella & Reedtz, Paolo Marullo, 1999. "Bank interest rates and credit relationships in Italy," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1067-1093, July.
- Verbeek, Marno, 1990. "On the estimation of a fixed effects model with selectivity bias," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 267-270, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp894. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.