The History of Macroeconomics from Keynes’s General Theory to the Present
This paper is a contribution to the forthcoming Edward Elgar Handbook of the History of Economic Analysis volume edited by Gilbert Faccarello and Heinz Kurz. Its aim is to introduce the reader to the main episodes that have marked the course of modern macroeconomics: its emergence after the publication of Keynes’s General Theory, the heydays of Keynesian macroeconomics based on the IS-LM model, disequilibrium and non-Walrasian equilibrium modelling, the invention of the natural rate of unemployment notion, the new classical attack against Keynesian macroeconomics, the first wave of new Keynesian models, real business cycle modelling and, finally, the second wage of new Keynesian models, i.e. DSGE models. A main thrust of the paper is the contrast we draw between Keynesian macroeconomics and stochastic dynamic general equilibrium macroeconomics. We hope that our paper will be useful for teachers of macroeconomics wishing to complement their technical material with a historical addendum.
|Date of creation:||30 Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ben S. Bernanke & Julio J. Rotemberg, 1997. "Editorial in "NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1997, Volume 12"," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1997, Volume 12, pages 1-6 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 1985. "Small Menu Costs and Large Business Cycles: A Macroeconomic Model of Monopoly," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(2), pages 529-538.
- Anna Batyra & Michel De Vroey, 2012.
"From One To Many Islands: The Emergence Of Search And Matching Models,"
Bulletin of Economic Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 393-414, 07.
- Anna BATYRA & Michel DE VROEY, 2009. "From one to many islands : the emergence of search and matching models," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2009005, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Jeremy Greenwood, 2005. "Modern Business Cycle Analysis," RCER Working Papers 520, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Garrone Giovanna & Marchionatti Roberto & Bellofiore Riccardo, 2004. "Keynes on econometric method. A reassessment of his debate with Tinbergen and econometricians, 1938-1943," CESMEP Working Papers 200401, University of Turin.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:2011028. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.