Inefficient Private Renegotiation of Sovereign Debt
The literature on sovereign debt emphasizes that international financial transactions are impeded because the fulfilment of contractual obligations by a government is time-inconsistent. The process of renegotiation between private creditors and debtor governments can create further inefficiencies in the world allocation of capital. In this paper, two potential sources of social cost in the private renegotiation of debt repayments and new loans are discussed. First, legal privileges accorded to existing creditors by their collective governments can render time-consistent the efficient allocation of capital constrained by sovereign immunity when there is ex post bargaining over net transfers. The absence of possibilities for full commitment by creditors implies that the outcomes achievable with ex post bargaining of simple debt contracts differ from those achievable with state-contingent contracts, as conceived in the literature. Second, the use of offers in a renegotiation to elicit private information about debtor characteristics is socially costly.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1989|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kletzer, K.M., 1988. "Sovereign Debt Renegotiation Under Asymmetric Information," Papers 555, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- repec:oup:restud:v:54:y:1987:i:3:p:345-64 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fernandez, R. & Rosenthal, R.W., 1988.
"Sovereign-Debt Renegotiations: A Strtegic Analysis,"
85, Boston University - Center for Latin American Development Studies.
- Raquel Fernandez & Robert W. Rosenthal, 1988. "Sovereign-debt Renegotiations: A Strategic Analysis," NBER Working Papers 2597, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1986.
"A Constant Recontracting Model of Sovereign Debt,"
NBER Working Papers
2088, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bulow, Jeremy & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 1989. "A Constant Recontracting Model of Sovereign Debt," Scholarly Articles 12491028, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Jeremy A.Rogoff Bulow & Kenneth, 1986. "A Constant Recontracting Model of Sovereign Debt," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 43, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Rogerson, William P, 1985. "Repeated Moral Hazard," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(1), pages 69-76, January.
- repec:oup:restud:v:50:y:1983:i:3:p:411-26 is not listed on IDEAS
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1979. "Optimal incentive contracts with imperfect information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 231-259, April.
- Ariel Rubinstein, 2010.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
252, David K. Levine.
- repec:oup:restud:v:48:y:1981:i:2:p:289-309 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:oup:restud:v:52:y:1985:i:4:p:647-63 is not listed on IDEAS
- Worrall, Tim, 1988.
"Debt with potential repudiation,"
Discussion Papers, Series II
69, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Herschel I. Grossman & John B. Van Huyck, 1985.
"Sovereign Debt as a Contingent Claim: Excusable Default, Repudiation, and Reputation,"
NBER Working Papers
1673, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Herschel I & Van Huyck, John B, 1988. "Sovereign Debt as a Contingent Claim: Excusable Default, Repudiation, and Reputation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1088-97, December.
- Kenneth A. Froot & David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1988.
"LDC Debt: Forgiveness, Indexation, and Investment Incentives,"
NBER Working Papers
2541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Scharfstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1989. " LDC Debt: Forgiveness, Indexation, and Investment Incentives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(5), pages 1335-50, December.
- Eaton, Jonathan, 1990. "Debt Relief and the International Enforcement of Loan Contracts," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 43-56, Winter.
- Sappington, David, 1983. "Limited liability contracts between principal and agent," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Kletzer, Kenneth M, 1984. "Asymmetries of Information and LDC Borrowing with Sovereign Risk," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(374), pages 287-307, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:357. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.