Unemployment and Wages of Ethnic Germans
This paper uses the immigration sample of the German Socioeconomic Panel to analyse the earnings and unemployment assimilation of ethnic Germans who entered West Germany within the last ten years. The empirical analysis suggests that there is no earnings differential between immigrants from Eastern Europe and comparable East Germans at the time of immigration. With longer time of residence the earnings of former East Europeans rise faster than those of East Germans, however. Migrants from Poland and the former USSR have higher unemployment risks than those from East Germany or Romania. Ethnic networks are shown to be very useful for a successful integration into the labour market.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1996|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erika Schulz & Kerstin Seiring, 1994. "Integration deutscher Zuwanderer in den westdeutschen Arbeitsmarkt," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 61(35), pages 609-617.
- George J. Borjas, 1995.
"The Economic Benefits from Immigration,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 3-22, Spring.
- Johannes Schwarze & Felix Büchel, 1994. "Wanderungen von Ost- nach Westdeutschland," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 61(9), pages 128-132.
- Schmidt, Christoph M, 1994. "The Economic Performance of Germany's East European Immigrants," CEPR Discussion Papers 963, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- George J. Borjas, 1994. "The Economics of Immigration," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1667-1717, December.
- Schmidt, Christoph M & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1991. "Work Characteristics, Firm Size and Wages," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 705-710, November.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Chiswick, Barry R, 1978. "The Effect of Americanization on the Earnings of Foreign-born Men," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 897-921, October.
- Erika Schulz & Ulrich Rendtel & Jürgen Schupp & Gert Wagner, 1993. "Das Zuwanderer-Problem in Wiederholungsbefragungen am Beispiel des Sozio-oekonomischen Panels (SOEP)," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 71, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:1512. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.