Fragility of Asymptotic Agreement under Bayesian Learning
Under the assumption that individuals know the conditional distributions of signals given the payoff-relevant parameters, existing results conclude that as individuals observe infinitely many signals, their beliefs about the parameters will eventually merge. We first show that these results are fragile when individuals are uncertain about the signal distributions: given any such model, vanishingly small individual uncertainty about the signal distributions can lead to substantial (non-vanishing) differences in asymptotic beliefs. Under a uniform convergence assumption, we then characterize the conditions under which a small amount of uncertainty leads to significant asymptotic disagreement.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kurz, Mordecai, 1996. "Rational Beliefs and Endogenous Uncertainty," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 383-97, October.
- Harrison, J Michael & Kreps, David M, 1978. "Speculative Investor Behavior in a Stock Market with Heterogeneous Expectations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 92(2), pages 323-36, May.
- Daron Acemoglu & Victor Chernozhukov & Muhamet Yildiz, 2006.
"Learning and Disagreement in an Uncertain World,"
NBER Working Papers
12648, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Aumann, 1998. "Common Priors: A Reply to Gul," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 929-938, July.
- Stephen Morris, 1996.
"Speculative investor behavior and learning,"
96-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Stephen Morris, . "Speculative Investor Behavior and Learning," Penn CARESS Working Papers d12f7936881423171f6589501, Penn Economics Department.
- Stephen Morris, . ""Speculative Investor Behavior and Learning''," CARESS Working Papres 95-13, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Kurz, Mordecai, 1994. "On the Structure and Diversity of Rational Beliefs," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 4(6), pages 877-900, October.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521784504 is not listed on IDEAS
- Matthew O. Jackson & Ehud Kalai & Rann Smorodinsky, 1999.
"Bayesian Representation of Stochastic Processes under Learning: de Finetti Revisited,"
Econometric Society, vol. 67(4), pages 875-894, July.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Ehud Kalai & Rann Smorodinsky, 1998. "Bayesian Representation of Stochastic Processes under Learning: de Finetti Revisited," Discussion Papers 1228, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cla:levarc:814577000000000139. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David K. Levine)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.