Tax Competition with Formula Apportionment: The Interaction between Tax Base and Sharing Mechanism
The EU Commission is advocating a common consolidated tax base for the corporate income tax, accompanied by a revenue sharing mechanism based on formula apportionment. We analyse tax competition in such a regime, focussing on the interaction between the definition of the tax base and the apportionment method. Tax competition leads to suboptimally low tax rates if and only if the investment elasticity of the tax base is lower than the investment elasticity of the apportionment factor. For any apportionment method a change in the definition of the tax base can turn a race-to-the-bottom in tax competition into a race-over-the-top.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nielsen, Søren Bo & Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2010. "Company taxation and tax spillovers: Separate accounting versus formula apportionment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 121-132, January.
- Jack Mintz, 2004. "Corporate Tax Harmonization in Europe: It's All About Compliance," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 221-234, 03.
- European Commission, 2001. "Company Taxation in the Internal Market," Taxation Studies 0005, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
- Rüdiger Pethig & Andreas Wagener, 2007.
"Profit tax competition and formula apportionment,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 14(6), pages 631-655, December.
- Rüdiger Pethig & Andreas Wagener, 2003. "Profit Tax Competition and Formula Apportionment," Volkswirtschaftliche Diskussionsbeiträge 106-03, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht.
- Rüdiger Pethig & Andreas Wagener, 2003. "Profit Tax Competition and Formula Apportionment," CESifo Working Paper Series 1011, CESifo Group Munich.
- Dietmar Wellisch, 2004. "Taxation under Formula Apportionment - Tax Competition, Tax Incidence, and the Choice of Apportionment Factors," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 60(1), pages 24-, April.
- Michael Devereux, 2004. "Debating Proposed Reforms of the Taxation of Corporate Income in the European Union," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 71-89, January.
- Peter SÃ¸rensen, 2004. "Company Tax Reform in the European Union," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 91-115, January.
- Anand, Bharat N. & Sansing, Richard, 2000. "The Weighting Game: Formula Apportionment as an Instrument of Public Policy," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 53(n. 2), pages 183-200, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_2097. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.