Testing the NEG Model: Further Evidence from Panel Data
Local wage variations in the UK are explained by two non-nested rival hypotheses. The first derives from new economic geography theory, in which wages depend on market potential. The second come from urban economics theory, giving a reduced form with wage rates dependent on employment density. The paper examines whether one of these rivals is encompassed by the other by fitting an artificial nesting model using three alternative panel data estimators. The estimates indicate that neither hypothesis is encompassed by its rival, suggesting a need for new, more comprehensive, theory.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.spatialeconomics.ac.uk/SERC/publications/default.asp|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giuseppe De Arcangelis & Giordano Mion, 2002.
"Spatial Externalities and Empirical Analysis: The case of Italy,"
0006, Dipartimento di Scienze economiche e metodi matematici - Università di Bari, revised Jan 2002.
- Mion, Giordano, 2004. "Spatial externalities and empirical analysis: the case of Italy," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 97-118, July.
- Giordano Mion, 2004. "Spatial externalities and empirical analysis: the case of Italy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 42663, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- MION, Giordano, 2003. "Spatial externalities and empirical analysis: the case of Italy," CORE Discussion Papers 2003015, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Giuseppe De Arcangelis & Giordano Mion, 2002. "Spatial Externalities and Empirical Analysis: The case of Italy," Working Papers 66, Sapienza University of Rome, CIDEI.
- MION, Giordano, . "Spatial externalities and empirical analysis: the case of Italy," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1839, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mion, Giordano, 2003. "Spatial Externalities and Empirical Analysis: The Case of Italy," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-38, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:sercdp:0005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.